Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection

Should I use this or just my Wifi? I've disconnected the cable as I do not recognise the connection and the WIFI wasn't connecting automatically. It does now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Up to speed
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection

Hi

My view is ...

Ethernet is preferable for speed and security.

All is Calm
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I agree, makes sense, but the number shown when connected to the internet is not my connection and like I said, if that's connected, the WIFI isn't unless I connect manually. It's all a bit strange.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What number are you taking about?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My connection number is VM followed by eight digits. The Ethernet when connected showed a completely different number, not one I'm aware of. It's probably legit but doesn't make any sense, why wouldn't it be the same number, the Ethernet cable was connected to the router?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Because WiFi connections and Ethernet connections aren’t the same.

Are you wired direct to the hub or via a powerline plug etc?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Your Hub has a Wide Area Network (WAN) IP Address and that will be in the format 12.34.56.78.

Your Local Area Network (LAN) devices will have IP Addresses 192.168.xx.yy

Your Hub will have a Wireless Broadcast (Wi-Fi) called VM********

Your device LAN IP and the Wi-Fi name being different is nothing to worry about.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Oh okay guys, I'll plug it back in.

Any idea why the WIFI doesn't connect automatically as it is set to do when the Ethernet cable is used? Is it not needed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Once you plug a live ethernet cable into your PC it will take precedence over the Wi-Fi connection.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo