Menu
Adeyjones1
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet connection drops via switch but not direct

Hi all

I've just recently moved my office from one part of the house to another, but on plugging everything back in my ethernet connection started dropping intermittently when plugged in to my Netgear switch. I have pinged the IP and if I plug the ethernet cable straight in to the mac then the connection is fine, have been working on it all morning, but as soon as I plug it back in to the switch and ping, it'll be fine one minute then drop for a minute then re-connect and this goes on all throughout the day.

I'm sure there's nothing that needs setting up on the router for a switch, and I can't remember doing anything the first time this was all set up in the previous location, but for some reason it just isn't playing now.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet connection drops via switch but not direct

Try another switch - they do fail.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adeyjones1
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I will certainly try, but this is only about a year old, and has lights for the other (outgoing) connections i.e.printer, franking machine etc.. it's just the connection going in from the hub.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You said if you plug the (same?) ethernet cable from your Mac directly into the (same?) port on the Hub then all is fine. That data suggests the Hub is fine and its the switch that is faulty.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Adeyjones1
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's correct, as I type this now the Mac is plugged directly in to the hub via ethernet (and USB dongle due to lack of port in the macbook!).

I've got a spare switch in work i'll try and nab that without anyone looking to test and that'll prove/disprove...
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adeyjones1,

Thanks for your post. Apologies for the delayed reply and also the broadband issue.

How's things been since posting? Let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos