Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable for Hub 3 advice

I have a HP laptop supplied by my employer for WFH.  It works well on WiFi but wonder how much faster it would be directly plugged in.

Can someone advise me on what spec of ethernet cable I would need to connect it to my Virgin Hub 3.0? Or maybe ethernet would make no meaningful difference. 

I forgot to ask for a spare cable when the hub was installed a couple of years ago. 

Hope you can help! 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet cable for Hub 3 advice

go with cat6
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004WCKSR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1

But does the laptop have a 1Gb or 100Mb NIC? run device manager and look for NIC under network adapters

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Can your work not provide one?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I cannot find NIC in the list of network adapters - is it under something else eg Intel Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM or Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am already getting 120Mb+ via WiFi but have just upgraded to 350Mb.  Would that suggest I have 1Gb NIC? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

For reasons related to the pandemic and where I sit in the list of priorities of my workplace it might be easier for me to pick one up online, assuming it would make much difference in performance. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Also re current speed over WiFi I get very different results depending whose test I use. 

Google 120Mb

Broadbandspeedchecker 160Mb

Speed test.net 200+

All tried one after the other, and once again with similar results each time.

Google was recording 120Mb when I was still on the 100Mb service last week so not sure if my upgrade has kicked in yet, or whether ethernet cable would make any difference when it does. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

The speeds you’re getting aren’t bad for WiFi 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I agree they are not bad but keen to establish whether I'm getting the 350Mb I've just upgraded to yet, or if I'm still on the old 100Mb which in reality always offered a bit extra leeway. 

And I'm confused that Google is consistently reporting much lower speeds than other online tests immediately after - which one should I believe? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@AndyR98 wrote:

Thanks - I cannot find NIC in the list of network adapters - is it under something else eg Intel Ethernet Connection (4) I219-LM 

Yes thats 1Gb so you will get full speed by wire.

Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-LM 82185

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos