Menu
Jojemac85
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable for Gig1?

Hi!

I need to hard wire in a computer in the house to our Hub4, we have used the cable which we were using for our Hub3 but the speeds are worse than before. We have just signed up to the Gig1 package and we're only getting 45mbps on that computer. I have a Cat6 cable currently

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet cable for Gig1?

cat6 is perfectly fine for 1Gbps data, cat5e is even capable.
try a different cable to rule out a faulty cable.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cat 6 should be more than adequate.

If you are only getting 40Mbs with that cable check the computer Network Interface Card(NIC) is set to 100/1000 and that the drivers are up to date.

If the NIC is good try a different cable.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Cat 6 is more than enough to provide the service that you have.

Can you do the following on a computer which is connected directly to the hub https://samknows.com/realspeed/ post back the results i.e. Speed to hub and Speed to PC, as we need to narrow down is it hub or PC.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Jojemac85
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok so we did the test and it’s actually improved from earlier - so I’m guessing it was a blip. However given its connected to the hub directly I would have expected a much higher result? The cable is 15m, so I would guess there would be some speed loss due to that - but by that much?

thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

there would be no speed loss in a 15M cable.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Jojemac85
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

E04ACD2C-8C12-4BFA-9A9B-E870273812CF.jpeg

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The speed drop over an ethernet cable 15m and in good condition would need tools available only to NASA to measure, it is that negligible.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos