Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet cable WiFi options

Good evening all, 

I’m hoping someone would be kind enough to help with my confused mind with some advice 🙂 

Our main home router is the VM Super Hub 3 which is at the front of the home, struggles to reach the back bedrooms or patio so we have a TP link located centrally and it works OK. 

With home working now in place for 3 of us we need WIFI in the building down the garden so we’ve run cat5e cable down there. 

Now my dilemma is choosing the best thing to use at the other end of the cable? I’ve read so much on here and elsewhere I’ve literally bamboozled myself !! 

Please excuse me if I’m not making any sense, I really do try to understand these things! Lol! So ... 

1-  Do I need a wireless access point or router? (I’m aware of the changes I need to make with a router & IP address etc and happy to give this a go) 

2- As the hub 3 isn’t great at getting WiFi to the back of the home, could it be an option to change the main router to a more powerful one and use  the HUB 3 down the garden? 

3- Which pieces of reasonably priced equipment would you recommend? 

Thanks in advance to you all, very much appreciated 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ethernet cable WiFi options

you need a network switch and a wireless access point.

Changing the hun to modem mode and your own router is always going to improve things

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First job is to put a GB port unmanaged ethernet switch at the end of the Cat5e cable in the out building so you can connect multiple devices on there. 4-8 port Netgear ones are ~£20 on Amazon. If you just want localised wifi in there you just need a low budget wireless access point plugged into the switch

And as already said...  another router would help or just run another  Cat5e/6e cable from the Hub upstairs and add another WAP.

Whats your budget ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@legacy1 wrote:
AP and switch in one

Good spot - looks ideal for the out building 😀

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Brilliant, thanks for all your help and advice, I really do appreciate it, to clarify I’ve understood it properly and to be 100% .... 

To use multiple devices via Ethernet I would need: 

* Network switch & router or

* 2 in 1 device recommended 

To use just the WiFi I can plug a router straight in?

If I was to purchase a better spec router than the hub3 - I could use that as a main and the hub3 down the garden? 

Budget in mind is £100 but happy to pay more of it gets better connection & coverage.

Thanks so much for your patience 🙂  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You have two separate issues and they can be sorted in several ways depending on factors we cant assess as we are not in your location.

Working backwards.... at the end of the ethernet cable in the outbuilding you should add a switch + a budget WAP - or - the device legacy linked to will do both jobs (its not a router).

That cable has to go into one of your router ports in the house to provide the connectivity. That can be the Hub itself - and you then just sort out the wiif issue in the house with either a Mesh - or additional wired WAP's. That's fine and simplest if you are happy with the Hubs router functionality - most people are - some of us aren't !

Or you put the Hub into modem mode and get a "better" wireless router. Now that might sort your wifi out completely - or it still may not - but in that case you would just have to then plug in a Mesh or WAP's to the new router - instead of the Hub (as you will have its routing functions switched off). Remember you should only ever have one router working as a router - the other one would need to be disabled.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Highlighted
Hero
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You can install a router to replace the TP-Link to provide better WiFi at the back of the house. In the outbuilding a WAP would provide the WiFi and an unmanaged network switch with gigabit ports would give you ports for wired devices (or omit the switch if you will be totally wireless). You put the hub in modem mode. Here's how such a network would look.

Hub in modem mode --> Router --> network switch --> WAP
                                                --> other devices

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Good morning, 

Thanks so much, between you all, you have really enabled me to understand this very clearly and I’m now confident in moving forward to finalise this project 🙂 

Last question I have:

Any recommendations on a better spec router to use as the main? Ideally something aesthetically pleasing without lots on antennas as it’ll be on show. Budget around £100 ish. What are the key things to look for? 

Thanks again, really do appreciate you all taking the time to share your knowledge 🙂 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Kel2079 wrote:

Last question I have:

Any recommendations on a better spec router to use as the main? Ideally something aesthetically pleasing without lots on antennas as it’ll be on show. Budget around £100 ish. What are the key things to look for? 

The Hub3 has no external antennas and you know how well that wifi works 😎  My Apple Extreme doesnt have them either (it's no longer available) and whilst it trounces the Hub's wifi - I still need to have additional "boosters" upstairs as well.  Perhaps you should just get a Mesh system which are more aesthetically pleasing to look at.  As you haven't said that you need/want any additional routing features that the Hub doesnt have.  Some Mesh systems use the first unit as a new router as well (some dont) so that gives you that extra option.  Stick to the reputable lomg-term manafactures (avoid johnny-come-lately's like Google Amazon etc) e.g. - Tenda Nova, TP-Link Deco, Netgear and BT Whole Home wifi are systems (of both "types) that you should look at (Amazon) to see what suits best.  I dont use them myself, but others on here do and may comment on how satisfied they are with them.  Narrow the list down first by looking at....

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/network-wifi/best-mesh-wi-fi-network-systems-3661110/

https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/best-wireless-mesh-routers

--------------------
John
--------------------