cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet and WiFi

XKEYSCORE
Settling in

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the ethernet ports on the Hub 3 for devices such as Arlo Security Systems, Apple TV and TP Link Powerline Adapters and also use the Wifi at the same time? They are not working for me at the moment. I've been told that this is not possible and therefore a disappointing limitation of the Virgin Hub.

Grateful for any advice. 

Thank you.

12 REPLIES 12

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Do not where you have been told that, but with the hub you can use both wireless and Ethernet at the same time, it will depend on how the hub is setup if it is modem only mode then only one device can be connected to the Ethernet only, if in router mode then both wired/wireless will work.

What hub do you have ?

If you have a hub 3 what is the base light color ?

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

sophist
Trouble shooter

In router mode, you can use both ethernet and wifi.. in modem mode, only one ethernet port on teh hub works and there's no wifi broadcast.. so you need your own router to take care of providing wifi/ethernet

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@XKEYSCORE wrote:

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to use the ethernet ports on the Hub 3 for devices such as Arlo Security Systems, Apple TV and TP Link Powerline Adapters and also use the Wifi at the same time? They are not working for me at the moment. I've been told that this is not possible and therefore a disappointing limitation of the Virgin Hub.

Grateful for any advice. 

Thank you.

who has told you its not possible - the lan ports can certainly be used without affecting wifi and vica versa - i cannot say on all your 3 examples as i have no knowledge on apple tv or the security system but powerline adaptors of any brand need a connection to the hub to work

so a broad answer to your question is of course they can be used 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Thanks Mike.

It is a Hub 3. Base light colour is orange.

Thanks Tony. I was told by a Virgin Media Technician this morning.

Thanks Sophist. How do I change between modes please?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Well an orange light is not the standard light there is something wrong with the hub if it is router mode then the hubs light should be white.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@XKEYSCORE wrote:
Thanks Sophist. How do I change between modes please?

by default, the hub works in router mode. so if you do a factory reset, it will come up in router mode.  If you have your own router and want to move to modem mode then you follow these steps..

Log into the hub on http://192.168.0.1 and select the option to put the hub into modem mode

The hub will then reboot and come back up in modem mode - give it five minutes to settle down

Disconnect all ethernet cables from the hub

Power off the Hub and your router/mesh system

Connect your router/mesh system to the hub via ethernet cable and switch it on - leave it five minutes to settle down

Power on the hub and leave it five minutes to settle down

Should all be working.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

if it is in modem mode the 192.168.100.1 is the login to change it back or a reset will put it back into router mode

Tony.
Sacked VIP