Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet Slower Than Wifi

Hello All,

Got the M350 package delivered and installed yesterday.

Running speedtests on wifi using mine and my housemate's phone we get 350-380 down, whereas connecting via ethernet directly to the hub from a Dell XPS we get 100-150. Using powerline throughout the house we get similar results. All connections on the hub show us at 1000mbps between our wired devices (includind XPS next to the hub) and the hub.

Each time we run the speedtest we get use the same server to connect to, and the ethernet cables we are testing with are the cat6 that came with the hub and the cat5e that came with the powerline adapters.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet Slower Than Wifi

Powerlines will always slow you down.

What do you get wired direct to the hub. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

100-150 direct with a Dell XPS as I mentioned. Have verified it is a gigabit port on the XPS so should be getting maximum throughput.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sometimes Dell laptops have software on them that slows down Ethernet and WiFi speeds.

Remove any unnecessary dell software from the machine. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos