cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Ports on Hub3.0 Stop Working Suddenly - Tried Everything To Fix

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Watching Netflix this afternoon - it suddenly failed. Turns out all wired devices (3 out of 4 ports) to our Hub3 suddenly have no connectivity.

WiFi continues to work just fine.

I have now done a factory reset, recycled the power several times, plugged and re-plugged the cables, changed cables all to no avail.

Have tried to contact VM to ask for a replacement router, but their chat is super-useless, and the phone cuts me off because it claims my 'security number' is wrong.

I'm not really sure what to do now?

18 REPLIES 18

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

wait for staff to get to the thread is best option - try another reset - they can be iffy - hold the button a good 30sec and add a bit - dont guess time it 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Thank you - 

The first time, I held the reset button down for 60 seconds with LAN cables all unplugged, but power on.

Will doing it again make any difference?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Jammy192 wrote:

Thank you - 

The first time, I held the reset button down for 60 seconds with LAN cables all unplugged, but power on.

Will doing it again make any difference?

theres all sorts of theories on a full reset - i just press the button and wait for the lights to flash - that works most of the time

others say to remove cables - turn power off - stand on one leg etc - its certainly true that it can be difficult and its not consistent - so its really up to you - if you are confident the reset has happened and the lan ports still are not working then you need a new hub imo

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Thanks again.

Yep - I'm convinced that the reset has happened, primarily because the password etc went back to the factory settings.

Presumably it this hadn't happened then the reset wouldn't have been effective - but it did.

Hi Jammy192

Thanks for posting. Has another reset been done? Let us know if so and if not fixed. Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Yes, tried factory resets 3 times now to no avail. Same response on reset. Wifi working fine - all ethernet ports not connecting. My wired devices report - 'no cable connected'.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jammy192,

Thank you for the update.

I can not see any issues from our side, I do see that you have many devices connected to your Wi-Fi and the speed package you are on will struggle with this many devices. Also Have you tried getting a new Ethernet cable? Or checked that there is no damage to it?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Jammy192
On our wavelength

Hi Hayley

Firstly - the number of devices we have not 'struggled' with our current speed package at all - ever.

As I've made clear previously, the problem I'm detailing affects *all* wired ethernet ports from your router (not just one).

Yes I've changed cables (because you always ask), but that's a non-sensical thing to do if ALL of the ports fail at the same time.

I say again - wifi works fine. The ethernet / lan ports do not work......

Isn't it clear that this is a router problem?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Jammy192,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I'm sorry to see that the issue still persists.

From looking at it today it does state that two devices are connected via Ethernet currently, has the issue rectified itself.

Also I can see you raised a complaint regarding this issue, our team have attempted to contact you, has a call back been successful?

Let us know, 

Kain