Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ethernet Over Coax

Hi, So is it possible to run a Moca Adapter For Ethernet Over Coax using the virgin coax cables. My house has 4 floors and the router is installed on the 4th floor. My son down stairs is having really bad connection via wifi, tried boosters faster broadband speed its just not reliable as he streams his games on his computer. Has any one had any luck with this or is it possible. Was looking at a few of these https://www.directnine.uk/collections/network-adapters/products/actiontec-bonded-moca-20-ethernet-to... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ethernet Over Coax

The signal going into your property using co-ax is joined to the VM Hub and that Hub is activated to the property account. No other modem will work at that connection.

After the Hub the only connections you can use are ethernet cable or Wi-Fi.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Does the coax cables that run into the TV boxes not provide internet to the V6 box? As i'm aware those adapters i linked are just using the coax cable to run the broadband then from the adapter to ethernet. I have seen a few vids on YT but those are USA based just not sure if virgin are working the same as there cable system. Here is the video i watched. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GneearSPL0&pbjreload=101
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The co-ax going into the V6 box is internet capable.

BUT

Any any modifications to the VM network is against the T&C s of your contract and will quite likely cause major connection problems for yourself and your neighbours.

May I ask why you want to use a co-ax network rather than an ethernet network with switches ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The wifi Connection downstairs in my house is just not reliable. Half the time it never works and when it does its not the best i had VM at my house today and was nothing they could do i have boosters setup 500mb Broadband connection. Only other way is installing cables from router downstairs but looking for a better way. Thanks again for the reply.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't normally suggest them as a wire is always better, however you could look into a powerline adapter which uses your power lines to communicate between two points:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA7010KIT-Powerline-Transfer-Streaming-Configuration/dp/B06WRSHKC6?ref_=... 

Highlighted
Legend
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Lemzidale wrote:
The wifi Connection downstairs in my house is just not reliable. Half the time it never works and when it does its not the best i had VM at my house today and was nothing they could do i have boosters setup 500mb Broadband connection. Only other way is installing cables from router downstairs but looking for a better way. Thanks again for the reply.

Using ethernet cables and switches would be a lot cheaper and a lot easier than messing around with co-ax cables and those expensive boxes.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I already have VM's boosters setup they help a little but still not stable.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I think the main difference will be you will be using a wired connection either side of the power line adapter, rather than wireless, as with the VM Booster.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thee VM boosters i have are running ethernet or wifi both are just as bad tbh. Thanks for the reply tho.
0 Kudos