cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Cable

LINW1
Joining in

Looking for recommendations for what ethernet cable to use with the Hub 5 it's needs to be 30metres long to go from the front of my house to the back garden.  The one I have just now is a Mutecpower Cat 6 outdoor cable.  I loose connection a lot with it so looking to replace.

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Problem can be the hub doing low power transmitter so you should check PC to PC with that cable or get your own router with 1Gb or better ports

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

From the description on Amazon, that cable should be ok. One thing mentioned in the spiel is about shielding (STP not UTP) although the connectors shown are not shielded ones! You should not use shielded cable unless the devices at each end support it and VM hubs do not.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@LINW1 wrote:

Looking for recommendations for what ethernet cable to use with the Hub 5 it's needs to be 30metres long to go from the front of my house to the back garden.  The one I have just now is a Mutecpower Cat 6 outdoor cable.  I loose connection a lot with it so looking to replace.

Have a look at this past topic ref long cable length

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/TP-Link-Switch-50m-Outdoor-Cable/m-p/4789022#M287...

This was actually for a Hub 3 (not Hub 5 as you are using).

I have no idea if the suggested solution is 'a thing' or not but you could maybe try different ports on the Hub 5 with a long cable length and see if your reliability improved any.