cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Engineer needs to visit local control box!

Mcmlxi
Tuning in

Whenever the weather gets warm my connection becomes intermittent and then fails until the air cools in the evening.

All of my equipment and cable runs are in the shade all day, the control box is not.

Instead of bothering me with an engineer visit which costs me time and money on top of the extortionate amount I pay Virgin each month, with a known issue with control boxes - send an engineer to the control box that services CV10 7AY.

Obviously when internet is down I can no longer phone!!!! Neither can I check this forum!!

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

By "control box" do you mean the "street cabinet" that services multiple customers or your own personal wall "omnibox".

What colour is the relevant box ?  If it's your own omnibox you could just try "shading" it from the sun in some way - or just paint it with heat reflective paint.    I am sure all VM would do is replace the omnibox with a similar one (perhaps a different colour).

If its the street cab - unless multiple customers are complaining they probably wont paint it, but if you call it in as a fault they can move your connection to another "tap" in there.  Perhaps to a cooler spot somewhere in there.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If there were numerous complaints about the issue from other residents then VM may asses an issue with the cabinet. The amplifiers have a trip alarm which alerts the local network teams if they shut down or go out of spec. What needs investigating (unfortunately) is the individual line that is going out of spec, as you may be closer to limits than other users. I have had a similar problem myself in the past. My next door neighbour, who has the same amount of cable run exposed to the sun had no issues, whereas my hub was losing internet regularly during the hottest part of the day.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, Mcmlxi.
Thanks for your post on our help forums and welcome back to the community.

We're sorry to hear of the issues caused by the street cabinet heating up, we'd love to see how to best help with this.

In order to share more on this and assist you, I'll send you a PM here soon.

Please, check the top right-hand side of our page to find a little white envelope.
Click on this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs