Menu
Colin13
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Engineer for poor internet

Hi, can anyone tell me how to book an Engineer for really poor intermittent internet. I can’t get through on the phone. They then send a link stating you can book an engineer after 24hrs but that doesn’t work either. 

thanks

0 Kudos
tehwolf
Superfast
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer for poor internet

It’s possible to get an engineer booked through the forums but it’ll probably take 5-10 days to get a response from staff + whatever the lead time is for an engineer in your area. 

In the meantime though it’s probably worth posting some more information about your issue, there’s some knowledgeable folk around here that will be able to determine if you have a problem that will require an engineer to put right or whether it’s a different issue. 

If you can provide some more detail about the problem that’d help.

whilst we’re at it, you should also consider setting up a BQM to see how the connection is performing.

it’s also worth posting the logs from your hub.. to do this browse to http://192.168.0.1 but don’t log in, click on the router status button and then copy / paste the detail from the upstream, downstream and network log back into this thread. Do one post per here per tab, it won’t all fit into one post. 

0 Kudos
rdw1979
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

download the new "my virgin media app" to your smartphone and go to status and keep running tests on your broadband and eventually it will let you request an engineer visit !! thats how i got mine

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Morning Colin,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your internet connection and haven't been able to book a technician,

I have managed to find your account and had a look, I have checked all your levels and everything looks exactly as it should, I would recommend downloading and running our Connect App , with this you can manage all your WIFI devices and make sure you are getting the best and also find and fix black spots in the property.

The app allows you to pause unused devices so you have more bandwidth for the devices you need to us, I recommend also checking out our WIFI help Guide .

Please let us know how you get on.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Colin13
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have tried all this numerous times over several months. It is an intermittent issue I have which I have tried to explain so many times. The connection drops out regularly during the day but as part of phoning Virgin the router gets reset and works again for a while. I keep getting told it is ok when you do your checks, that’s because it’s just been reset. 
This is very frustrating to say the least. Trying to get hold of someone is proving very difficult. 

I still need help sorting this intermittent issue. 

cheers

colin

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Colin,

After running all the checks I strongly advise running the connect app and maybe having a look at your connected devices, if not done already you can try a pin reset which can help a lot of issues, push a pin/ paper clip in the reset hole at the back of the router, hold in for a timed 1 minute then release, do not turn off or reset then allow 10 minutes to settle.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Colin13
Tuning in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I have done this over and over again. There is an issue and nobody gives the slightest of concerns. I have done everything you ask several times. I want an Engineer to check this. I actually think the issue is external to the property As neighbours also have similar issues however they are just fed up complaining as it’s a lost cause. 
Service levels are really very poor indeed. 

cheers

colin

0 Kudos
Zak_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for coming back to us @Colin13 

As advised by @tehwolf, It would be really useful if you could set up a BQM, this way both of us will be able to assess the drops in your services. As you have said the issue is intermittent and it wouldn't mean that we are able to see this at the time of our checks however with a BQM it will monitor your broadband 24 hours a day 7 days a week until you tell it otherwise. 

Please do let us know how you get on with setting it up. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

0 Kudos
Colin13
Tuning in
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ok, what is a BQM and how do I do that?

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Colin13

A "Broadband Quality Monitor"  or BQM, monitors your connection from the Hub and allows us to see and check any drops or interruptions of your service.

You can access the site on the link below and it includes full instructions

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos