Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Engineer didn't turn up for appointment

My father's Virgin broadband developed a fault following a power cut and isn't working anymore.

We worked through the online help (which didn't help) and ended up having to book an engineer appointment, for which we had to wait 5 days. 

The engineer was booked to visit this morning. For the past few days since booking the engineer I've been able to see the scheduled appointment in the Virgin Media app and on the website. But this morning the appointment had vanished. We've waited in for the engineer but nobody came and nobody phoned.

We dialled 150 and waited on hold for 40 minutes before being cut off. My wife then dialled 150 again and was cut off after being on hold for 20 minutes.

Could someone from Virgin please help, thank you, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer didn't turn up for appointment

If there is an Area Fault engineer visits are auto cancelled.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting your district. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike,

Yes I've checked the service status and it's all working OK for broadband in our area. I've checked it every day since we booked the engineer appointment last Friday and it's always been all OK/green. I've reset the hub, checked the cables, everything. I suspect the power cut might have damaged the hub or the box on the wall that it connects to.

I've had to book another engineer appointment. The earliest available was in 6 days time. My father's absolutely disgusted and I've advised him to switch if he's let down again next time. 

I'd still appreciate help from someone at Virgin beforehand so my father doesn't have to wait another week. We're not wasting any more time on hold on the phone because the helpline keeps cutting us off. 

Notwithstanding covid, which we'd completely understand if Virgin had contacted us to say the engineer couldn't come or was going to be late, the experience today has been appalling 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ian,

Sorry you've had these problems. It's the sort of thing my parents would find really stressful. I've found it really difficult checking in on them during lockdown and feel a real level of responsibility to make sure they're coping with isolation. Having no broadband would make that doubly hard and being let down by cancelled engineer visits would infuriate me. 

FYI the phone line will often disconnect people according to posts on social media and these forums. I have no idea why they don't fix this. It doesn't inspire confidence in a communications company when their own phoneline doesn't work.

Regardless of that it's worth filing a complaint. They have 8 weeks to respond to your complaint and following that you can appeal or take it further to CISAS or another independent adjudicator. I'd recommend filing a complaint partly because it's seemingly the only way to put on record what's going on and also because these complaints and whether they're successfully sorted out do form part of OFCOM's annual report which affects what Virgin can say about their service. The experience - as you say - is appalling and should be recorded. 

All the best and good luck with the next engineer. 

Tilt is the Peoples Champion - MikeRobbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just an update.

Remarkably my father managed to get through on the Virgin helpline.

What happened this morning was that the engineer phoned but my father has call vetting set up on his home phone. This means that when the caller number isn't recognised an automated voice will prompt the caller to say who they are, and then my father can hear the caller's voice and decide whether or not to answer the call. Apparently, the engineer, upon hearing the automated voice, hung up and cancelled the appointment.

Thankfully the person my father spoke to this afternoon from the help line was able to get someone to come out to him tomorrow morning. Hopefully no more issues. 

Thanks to everyone who offered advice

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Excellent. Glad to hear that has been sorted and they're getting a replacement engineer out to you promptly. 

Tilt is the Peoples Champion - MikeRobbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Make sure he disables the caller vetting tomorrow 🙂

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos