Email saying "We’d like to update your WiFi settings"

RoyalStandard
Up to speed

My hub is in modem-mode, so I'm NOT using the hub's WiFi - 
I'm using my own router's WiFi

- So hands off my settings ! 

Here's the full message:

Hello xxxxxx

Your gadgets connect to your home WiFi using two networks, depending on how far away you are from a Hub or Booster. Your home WiFi seems to have been split across two networks (2.4GHz and 5GHz) which might be down to old issues that’ve since been fixed.

Get more from your home WiFi
To stop your home WiFi being held back, we’d like to merge your two split networks into one Intelligent WiFi network. This’ll allow our latest Intelligent WiFi technology to switch your devices between the two WiFi networks while you move around the house – so you can enjoy better WiFi signal.  

Intelligent WiFi also spots when your devices are running into a traffic jam and automatically switches them to a better network.

Don’t worry – if any of your devices only support the 2.4GHz network (perhaps because they’re older), Intelligent WiFi will pick that up and stop the device from switching between the two networks, helping it to perform at its best.

Giving you an even better connection, when you need it
The 2.4GHz network typically has the longest range. Like a marathon runner, it covers longer distances, slower. The 5GHz network covers short distances, faster – like a sprinter. This makes it best for gadgets nearer your Hub or Booster. Our Intelligent WiFi helps to make sure your gadgets connect to the best network.

To update your settings, there’s nothing you need to do – we’ll do it for you on 26th July. And if you don’t like how your WiFi’s performing after we’ve merged your networks, you can split them out again at any time by following these simple steps.

Don’t want to have your networks merged into one Intelligent WiFi network? Just let us know if you want to opt out by 26th July.

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If the hub is in modem mode (magenta LED), then VM can know nothing of your wifi settings, and can't possibly change them.  So don't worry, it'll be an automated email that can be safely ignored.  The reference to "you've split your 2.4 and 5 GHz" may be down to some previous configuration you tried with the hub in router mode, it could simply be an error.

I'm running my hub in router mode, and I find it reassuring that I'm (as far as possible) isolated from known and unknown bugs in the hub's router firmware, and the exciting new ones likely to appear in future changes, since every firmware release seems to bring something unintended.

Hey @RoyalStandard,

Thanks for posting on our forums with this and as Andrew-G advised in his post, this will be an automated email as we cannot see anything about your setup when using the hub in modem mode rather than router mode.

Regards,

Steven_L