Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Elderly parents with no WIFI or Phone!

My elderly parents have only had WIFI and Phone use intermittently for most of this year. Virgin are now saying that they want to dig up their driveway to fix the problem as the cables are underneath it. Understandably, my parents do not want this work to be carried out as they will not be able to put the driveway back to it's original state. There is no proof that doing this will solve the problem. My parents decided they would cancel their account due to this being only way to resolve the problem but Virgin want to charge them a large cancellation fee. My mum is also the carer for my sick uncle and she needs a reliable phone line for emergencies! Both of my parents are in their 70's and come under the vulnerable category, especially my mum. Can Virgin treat them like this? 

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Elderly parents with no WIFI or Phone!

@Ginger22 wrote:

My elderly parents have only had WIFI and Phone use intermittently for most of this year. Virgin are now saying that they want to dig up their driveway to fix the problem as the cables are underneath it. Understandably, my parents do not want this work to be carried out as they will not be able to put the driveway back to it's original state. There is no proof that doing this will solve the problem. My parents decided they would cancel their account due to this being only way to resolve the problem but Virgin want to charge them a large cancellation fee. My mum is also the carer for my sick uncle and she needs a reliable phone line for emergencies! Both of my parents are in their 70's and come under the vulnerable category, especially my mum. Can Virgin treat them like this? 

They’re not being treated unfairly. If a new cable needs drawing then the work needs to be carried out. If not then they are basically volunteering to cancel the contract and are therefore subject to the ETC’s. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

if they will not allow the required work to repair the fault to take place then they have only 2 options.

1) keep paying for the services with the fault or
2) cancel if out of contract giving 30 days notice or paying the EDF if in the contract as agreed in the contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

I get that it's in the contract but why should someone have to have their driveway ruined if they do not want to? My parents cannot afford to pay for the whole thing to be re laid if Virgin do not re lay it properly! There must be a clause in the contract somewhere? How can they have the right to only be able to offer that one solution!?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps @Andruser could comment on this situation.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Ginger22 wrote:

I get that it's in the contract but why should someone have to have their driveway ruined if they do not want to? My parents cannot afford to pay for the whole thing to be re laid if Virgin do not re lay it properly! There must be a clause in the contract somewhere? How can they have the right to only be able to offer that one solution!?

Read the contract and check 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Virgin wouldn't have installed under a driveway so was the drive done after the install?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

@Ginger22 I'm flattered @jbrennand hopes I can help, but as this is about VM's private property (the cable) under a private drive (of your parents) that's apparently been built over the top of it, it's a situation of complexity beyond us amateurs to offer accurate and appropriate advice.  If you or they are not subscribers to any legal help services (eg Which? Legal Services), then you could try Citizens Advice Bureau.  As this concerns potential property "damage", formal complaint and escalation routes aren't suitable courses of action.

On the assumption that VM have confirmed that they cannot or will not reinstate the drive to an adequate standard, I'd write a letter to VM's chief executive, at their Reading head office explaining all, and asking for the company to waive the early termination fee in these circumstances, or to agree to pay for reinstatement of the drive to "as is" standard.  CEO complaints obviously aren't dealt with or even seen by him, but they are dealt with by a dedicated team rather than the usual Virgin Sausage Factory complaints process. 

But before you do that, I'll flag this for the forum staff.  I think there's a reasonable request to have the matter looked at again to see if this can be amicably resolved quickly.  If that gets nowhere then it's letter to the CEO, and beyond that they may need to take legal advice if you're still not happy.

Tuning in
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Yes the cables were laid by Nynex before they became Virgin. The team said they would lay them in trunking so that my dad could lay a driveway over them and that they would be able to replace the cables by pulling them through the trunking but now the cables are stuck.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

they may be able to run a new cable if there is another route it can take. But they are not going to lift and repair a drive at there expense if that drive was placed over the cable after it was installed

0 Kudos