Menu
DeadSignal
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Elderly Parents - Connection Fault (Loss of Sync / RS Errors)

Hi all,

I'm aware of several similar threads, just had a couple of specific questions.

I'm a Linux sysadmin / ex network engineer but know very little about DOCSIS.

Zoom call to my parents was dropping repeatedly so I did some diagnostics and tracked it down to their router / connection.

I'm seeing between 3000 and 80000 Pre RS and ~100,000 Post RS errors per downstream channel.

Network log gives CRITICAL: Loss of Sync. RCS Partial Service and Lost MDD Timeout

See attached screengrabs.

003. Router Network Log.png004. Router Downstream Channels.png

This happened last week. I got them to unplug the router, disconnect and reconnect the coax and the problem seemed to resolve itself for a while but it resurfaced tonight. Haven't attempted a factory reset but can when I next visit if advised.

My parents are in their 80s and really can't deal with the stress of over the phone diagnostics. My main question is - is there enough information here to identify the problem as a faulty router vs a line fault? My second question is, can I arrange the replacement router / engineer visit on their behalf (I have access to their account details, phone password etc).

Thanks very much for your time.

Rich.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Elderly Parents - Connection Fault (Loss of Sync / RS Errors)

A VM person will respond in a few days - in the meantime....

When zooming can they connect a laptop/computer on an ethernet cable direct into the Hub and see if that stabilises the connection? It may be just a wifi issue rather than a network connection one. A test on an ethernet connection will be good data to help.

Do they have other problems - or is it just when Zooming?

That said, high RS error counts (particularly postRS ones) are usually a sign of "noise" ingress on the connection that needs a Tech visit to investigate. Logs dont look great either. As it was rebooted recently it may well be that they are recent RS errors rather than historical build up - so need investigating. Can you post up the upstream data as well.

Also, Its best to copy/paste data as formatted text rather than screenshots" as it has truncated the data set.

If you can when there set up a BQM as below - it will help see the connection quality

Also, in the meantime... If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Elderly Parents - Connection Fault (Loss of Sync / RS Errors)

Good Afternoon DeadSignal,

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to see that you're parents have been experiencing issues with the connection.

How has this performed over the weekend? Can you tell me if you've been able to set up a Broadband Quality Monitor to run over the weekend on the connection?

Can you also confirm if we've advised you of any area outages of late?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos