cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ease of Downgrading a Hub

ian002
Joining in

I have a Superhub 2, which has been working fine for over 8 years.

I only use wifi to connect to the internet. No machine is plugged directly into the hub.

I have recently upgraded to a 250MB connection from a 125MB and I was advised to switch to a Superhub 5. This new hub has been delivered.

I have read so many negative comments about this new hub 5 that I am scared to install it in case the internet is worse than my current installation.

If I switch from the hub 2 to the hub 5, and things go wrong, how easy is it to switch back to the old hub 2?

On a 250MB connection what is the best hub to use?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14

@jbrennand wrote:

I am surprised they sent you a Hub5 with no change of package - the supply issues for that Hub must be easing. 

Makes sense in the long run.

and if it doesn't work out use modem mode

---------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks for all your help.

I waited until Hub 2 was deactivated last night and activated Hub 5 this morning.

When I activated Hub 5, and followed the advice to split the 2g and 5g everything worked and all by devices are online.

However, I am getting slightly slower download speeds on the Hub 5 than the Hub 2. The router is in a same place in the house.

I cannot understand why speeds would be lower. I am paying for 250MB. On wifi 2 I am seeing around 45mb. On wifi 5g I am seeing 65 to 110 depending on the location and the device. These speeds are enough for me to use the devices as I need to but are a long way from 250MB. None of my devices support ax, all are using ac or older on wifi.

Looking at the router can you tell me what settings to have for:

1) Should 'channel' be set to 'Manual' or 'Auto' for 2g and 5g?
2) What should 'channel width' be for the 2g and 5g frequencies?
3) What should the security settings be?

Any tips on how to improve signal strength?

Thanks again

Hi ian002

Thanks for posting in regards to your speeds over your wireless network. We appreciate you raising the query and are happy to help.

The wireless speeds will fluctuate, this is down to many factors such as device, location, property build, other devices in the property, interference from these devices and many more. We have these tips available to help with

broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed.

Rob

Thanks.

Is there anywhere I can get answers to the questions:

1) What should 'channel width' be for the 2g and 5g frequencies?
2) What should the security settings be?

Thanks for coming back to us ian002, please see the below answers for your questions

1) What should 'channel width' be for the 2g and 5g frequencies?

The channel width for the frequencies should be as below 

2ghz - 20/40 MHz

5 ghz - 20/40/80 MHz

2) What should the security settings be?

WPA2-PSK

Kind Regards,

Steven_L