cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET Issue

Jon2284
Joining in

I am experiencing a very frustrating issue that I just cannot resolve.

I am getting the "ERR_CONNECTION_RESET" when trying to access the internet. Some sites resolve partially, some not at all (get that error). Happens using all browsers. Teams and Outlook do not appear to be impacted i.e. they are working fine. This occurs ONLY using my Virgin connection (Hub 4) and on my corporate laptop (not via a VPN). I have tested using a mobile connection on the laptop and do not get the error. I also have no issues using the home broadband network on any other device

I should also add I have been using this connection on the same laptop without issue for over a year and changed no settings.

I have attempted all the usual remedies. This includes restarting the router (multiple times), rebooting PC, clearing cache, checking proxy settings, deleting winsock catalog entries, flushing DNS. I also did a full factory reset of the router.  After the factory reset it appeared to be fixed temporarily but then the issue started again.

As I say, as far as I can tell the issue is only occurring on my corporate laptop.  However, my company's tech support are adamant everything is fine and nothing changed their end and are convinced it's a router issue.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey Jon2284, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry you are having some connection issues.

If this is only happening on your work laptop / PC?

I know you said you have contacted your works IT team what have they advised?

We also do not actively block VPNs.

Does everything else work fine connection wise? Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks.  Yes the issue is just on corporate laptop but it only occurs using the VM wifi.  Hotspotting or any other connection there is no issue but equally I have no problem with the VM wifi using any other device. 

They advised that they don't see anything unexpected and are convinced it is a network issue given no problems with other connections.

The strange thing is Teams and Outlook work fine.. just web browsing that has the issue.

It's very difficult to understand..

Hi Jon, thank you for coming back to us with this additional information!

A couple of questions to try and help us really isolate where this issue may be:

1) Is this happening when accessing all sites on the laptop or some specific sites? (If you have any specific examples this will be a great help! If you would prefer to send these privately that's no problem, just let us know and we will send you a PM). 

2) Do you have any 3rd party networking equipment or are you connecting to the hub directly?

3) Does the laptop have an ethernet port? It would be interesting to know if the same issue occurs when connecting to your VM network but via a wired connection. 

4) Do you know if the laptop has any personalised DNS settings? This could also be preventing the access. (I do acknowledge you have already advised of flushing the DNS so bear with us on this.)

5) Can you advise us the make, model and operating system of the device the issue is occurring on?

Thanks for your patience and understanding whilst we try to get this sorted!

All the best! 

Molly