Menu
Reply
ST_BOLD14
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
229 Views
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

My IP is blacklisted at SORBS DUHL, Spamhaus ZEN, UCEPROTECTL2 & L3. 

I went to SORBS.NET and the last blacklisting activity for the IP was 2008. I only got my VM hub in August. I run my Virgin Hub in Modem Mode and have a Deco Router. I did manage to use the MAC Clone setting in the router to change the MAC address of the router, restart both the router and VM modem, this gave me a new IP which was still blocked in the same way. 

The reason this is a problem is that it is preventing my email client connecting to my domain SMTP server. My email client connects to both Apple and Google SMTP servers fine, it is just my domain email server. 

I've run malware bytes etc. and I don't think it is anything we've done this end. Like I said above, the last occurance for the DUHL listing type was 19 Dec 2008 on SORBS.NET.

I didn't have any issue with my previous ISP Sky running in Modem mode with exactly the same Deco set up as my router. 

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Reply
jem101
  • 2.38K
  • 279
  • 1.09K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
208 Views
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server


@ST_BOLD14 wrote:

My IP is blacklisted at SORBS DUHL, Spamhaus ZEN, UCEPROTECTL2 & L3. 

I went to SORBS.NET and the last blacklisting activity for the IP was 2008. I only got my VM hub in August. I run my Virgin Hub in Modem Mode and have a Deco Router. I did manage to use the MAC Clone setting in the router to change the MAC address of the router, restart both the router and VM modem, this gave me a new IP which was still blocked in the same way. 

The reason this is a problem is that it is preventing my email client connecting to my domain SMTP server. My email client connects to both Apple and Google SMTP servers fine, it is just my domain email server. 

I've run malware bytes etc. and I don't think it is anything we've done this end. Like I said above, the last occurance for the DUHL listing type was 19 Dec 2008 on SORBS.NET.

I didn't have any issue with my previous ISP Sky running in Modem mode with exactly the same Deco set up as my router. 


Your IP SHOULD be listed on the SORBS DUHL list and the Spamhaus PBL list which means it will be included on the 'catchall' Spamhaus ZEN list. This is because your VM assigned IP is a dynamic one and these lists are indeed lists of dynamically assigned IP addresses as provided by various ISPs and as such shouldn't be running an email server.

There is nothing that SORBS, Spamhaus or indeed VM can or will do to remove you from these listings. 

However inclusion on these lists should absolutely not prevent you from connecting to a remote email server - you'll need to look elsewhere as to what is blocking you.

John

0 Kudos
Reply
ST_BOLD14
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
198 Views
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server


@jem101 wrote:

@ST_BOLD14 wrote:

My IP is blacklisted at SORBS DUHL, Spamhaus ZEN, UCEPROTECTL2 & L3. 

I went to SORBS.NET and the last blacklisting activity for the IP was 2008. I only got my VM hub in August. I run my Virgin Hub in Modem Mode and have a Deco Router. I did manage to use the MAC Clone setting in the router to change the MAC address of the router, restart both the router and VM modem, this gave me a new IP which was still blocked in the same way. 

The reason this is a problem is that it is preventing my email client connecting to my domain SMTP server. My email client connects to both Apple and Google SMTP servers fine, it is just my domain email server. 

I've run malware bytes etc. and I don't think it is anything we've done this end. Like I said above, the last occurance for the DUHL listing type was 19 Dec 2008 on SORBS.NET.

I didn't have any issue with my previous ISP Sky running in Modem mode with exactly the same Deco set up as my router. 


Your IP SHOULD be listed on the SORBS DUHL list and the Spamhaus PBL list which means it will be included on the 'catchall' Spamhaus ZEN list. This is because your VM assigned IP is a dynamic one and these lists are indeed lists of dynamically assigned IP addresses as provided by various ISPs and as such shouldn't be running an email server.

There is nothing that SORBS, Spamhaus or indeed VM can or will do to remove you from these listings. 

However inclusion on these lists should absolutely not prevent you from connecting to a remote email server - you'll need to look elsewhere as to what is blocking you.

John


MXtoolbox is showing it as blacklisted, of course it is on these lists, it's on 83 others, but 3 and flagging the IP, therefore my connections to my domain smtp are being rejected. There was no issue connecting to me smtp pre-August from my Sky IP. I am looking everywhere to what is causing it, hence I have support tickets with my hosting provider, SORBS, and here, as well as running Malware and exploring my own home network for reasons. 

I note on another thread VM have just sorted a similar issue with another user, so not sure why you're so sure VM cannot help.

0 Kudos
Reply
jem101
  • 2.38K
  • 279
  • 1.09K
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
178 Views
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

Unfortunately no, the thread you have linked to is an entirely different matter where a user's IP address had appeared on a blocklist which VM were using internally to secure their own email servers and hence were preventing the user for connecting to VM's own systems. You will note from message 23 that although they say they are now working OK, they are still appearing on the SORBS DUHL list - as they should be!

Now I didn't say that VM won't be able to help you at all (although I have my doubts), but they absolutely will not and can not get your IP address removed from wither the SORBS DUHL or Spamhaus ZEN lists.

0 Kudos
Reply
ST_BOLD14
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
167 Views
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server



@jem101 wrote:

Unfortunately no, the thread you have linked to is an entirely different matter where a user's IP address had appeared on a blocklist which VM were using internally to secure their own email servers and hence were preventing the user for connecting to VM's own systems. You will note from message 23 that although they say they are now working OK, they are still appearing on the SORBS DUHL list - as they should be!

Now I didn't say that VM won't be able to help you at all (although I have my doubts), but they absolutely will not and can not get your IP address removed from wither the SORBS DUHL or Spamhaus ZEN lists.


Thanks John, I am aware VM does not have any control whatsoever over the DUHL lists etc. However, it seems the IPs I have been allocated have an historic bad record on these lists that is causing my smtp to reject the connection. Somewhere along the line, something is causing an issue. I don't think it's malware or my end, although I'm continuing to check that. I don't think it is my hosting's end as I have a support ticket with them and they are checking MX records etc. and don't see anything wrong other than their server not accepting the IP due to the flagged presence on said lists. I'm in no way an IT expert, or claiming this is VM, but I am pulling what hair I have left out trying to work out the issue, which has only manifested since recently switching to VM in the last couple of months. 
0 Kudos
Reply
legacy1
  • 17.11K
  • 734
  • 1.71K
Alessandro Volta
149 Views
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

So this is about sending Email? What client do you use and do you have your own server? Could you not use a VM Email as a relayer.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
ST_BOLD14
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
142 Views
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server


@legacy1 wrote:

So this is about sending Email? What client do you use and do you have your own server? Could you not use a VM Email as a relayer.


I run 2 Apple Mac laptops that have a variety of emails all running off Mac Mail as the client. I have an Apple personal email, a Gmail I use for work purposes, and a domain hosting for my website that includes several email addresses to my domain name. 

I receive emails all IMAP to all the accounts, Apple and Gmail outgoing emails to SMTP is fine. It is just my domain hosting that is rejecting the SMTP connection requests to send email due to the blacklisting previously mentioned.

I've only just switched to VM, and didn't have this issue with my previous ISP (Sky). I run the ISP box in modem mode, my LAN is run from TP-Link Decos, and then hardwired through a TP-Link switch. 

0 Kudos
Reply
legacy1
  • 17.11K
  • 734
  • 1.71K
Alessandro Volta
136 Views
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

Saying you didn't have this issue with Sky was just luck I can't send Email from my IP and if I had a server that I connect by SMTP the server would drop it so the only way to send Email is to use VM as relayer very simple to do open your client find your domain name email change SMTP with your VM SMTP server smtp.virginmedia.com and user name if asked for a password when sending email use your VM email password it sends to VM server and then to who you sent it to they see from your domain name email they reply it goes to your server.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Reply
Gareth_L
  • 7.92K
  • 468
  • 878
Forum Team
Forum Team
96 Views
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

HI ST_BOLD14

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to hear the IP address has been blacklisted 

How are things looking now

Can you let me know if this is still an issue

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Reply
ST_BOLD14
  • 10
  • 0
  • 0
Tuning in
57 Views
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dynamic IP blacklisted preventing connection to domain SMTP server

Hi @Gareth_L

Yes it's still an issue that I cannot connect to my domain providers smtp server because of the listing. I am at the proverbial dead-end unless there is something that can be done at your end?

ST

0 Kudos
Reply