forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
mjdmctaylor
Tuning in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Dual band router drops out several times a day

We recently had our router upgraded with our package. Upon getting it the internet speed was incredibly slow so I separated the 5 & 2Ghz channels as this was the issue. 

For the time we've had the router (not sure if this happened before we split the channels) it tends to drop out for all devices (the 5Ghz channel, not sure if the 2Ghz does as I usually can't find and enter the password in time before it reconnects) and then return a minute or two later. This happens around 6 or 7 times a day. Could it be that somethings happening & it's trying to switch to 2Ghz, but it can't, or something?

Any way I can diagnose it? Or is my router just crap?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dual band router drops out several times a day

With my polite hat on, I'll state that VM hubs don't have the best of reputations for their wifi capabilities.  To the extent that many of the regulars here have bought their own router or mesh wifi system, as I have.

But before leaping to any conclusions, do you have any wired devices that work perfectly when wifi devices drop out, that can confirm the problem is the wireless, rather than the broadband?  If not there's a range of checks that can identify power or noise faults on the broadband, or network quality faults.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos