Menu
ShepherdKai
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Dual WAN at home? Anyone have stories on their experience??

Moving into a new home next month and I can actually get Verizon FiOS and Comcast Xfinity Blast. I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite sitting in a box that I plan to break out for this use case. I work from home and it's imperative that I have Internet access at all times to do my job, furthermore, work reimburses me for my Internet up to $100, so I'm not too worried about the cost. Will likely be about $110 total before taxes and fees.

I am considering getting a subscription to both Comcast and Verizon and setting up the ERL in Dual WAN mode, getting up to 150 Mbps down from both providers, what kind of performance can I expect to see? Any caveats or suggestions before I go down this road? Has anyone else done this? How is your performance? Just looking for some anecdotes on how well or horribly this might work.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
g0akc
Well-informed
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Dual WAN at home? Anyone have stories on their experience??

You're in the US?

This forum is for Virgin Media - which mainly uses DOCSIS cable, in the UK.

Are those services provided over DSL?

Is that router dual WAN and load balancing?

I can tell you that have two DSL lines in the house can be good and bad - the performance is not twice that of a single line, and they tend to interfere with each other, particularly if the wiring is less than perfect.

Dual WAN can of course be great for resilience, though there may be common cabling etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!
0 Kudos