cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropping packets, how to get it resolved?

brman
Tuning in

I have ongoing issues with dropped packets. I am pretty sure it is virgin network, not my local connection although to keep VM happy I have rebooted my hub and done a network test from the website, no problems shown but the problem persists. I also called the helpdesk and was (predictably) told they could not see anything wrong and could not do anything.

So, not a situation I can tolerate so how to escalate?

The issue in more detail: On and off for the last month or so I have see a lot of dropped packets, normally late afternoon. Not normally enough to completely kill my internet (although sometimes it does) but enough to kill any voip call or vnc connection.  The issue generally lasts for about an hour and the clears up for the rest of the evening.

I run a quality monitor from thinkbroadband so here are some example days:

Today:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/2eecff228b55e0a695642c82cf41634284... 

Tuesday:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/e96317b6f1c5455c69ce1c651beab7b00d... 

It would not be such an issue except (like a lot of people) I am working from home so need a reliable internet. This is not that.... 😞

Oh, and in case someone asks, no it is not an issue with my local network. I run a firebrick router (VM hub in modem mode) with failover to a 4G modem. That all works 100% as expected.

54 REPLIES 54

Hi @brman

The levels that we can see here in the back office are just outside of the expected parameters, sorry if that sounds vague but as the logs change I cannot see exactly what the agent previously will have seen so can't directly advise. But all notes have been added to technicians notes so they will be aware of the issue when they arrive. 

Thank you. 

@brman - curious if you managed to get anywhere with this. Seeing similar issues with a friend VM connection.

No, there has been some work on the local network but nothing has changed. In fact, if anything, it has got a little worse. 😞

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good morning @brman

Welcome back to he forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I have run checks from here once again this morning, downstream & upstream are all in good shape. There is now also nothing on the networks. 

I have noticed however the hub has been up for 96 days, I would advise preforming a Pinhole reset of the hub. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Zak, I am sure you are trying to be helpful. However have you really read this thread? How many times have I been asked to reset the modem and how many times has that made any difference? Hint: Lots and none.

Frankly this is all getting a bit insulting and the only reason I am keeping this reply polite is that I don't want this thread deleted by some moderator.

- I have been having faults almost daily and had to put up not being able to rely on my broadband for over 8 months.
- I get told that, despite this, I still have to pay over the odds for my service (compared to any new customer) as it is not classified as a permanent fault.
- Every time I raise it I get told "we have checked the line and all looks in good shape", reset your modem (yeh, right. Like that fixed it last time??)
- Then I get an engineer sent out who (every time) says he can find nothing wrong so it must be a network fault. So it gets escalated. But not fixed.

The local engineer is excellent, friendly, helpful and even called me back in his spare time when he found a way of detecting the faults. The rest of VM? I am not sure my opinion is printable!

So lets recap what we know.

1) The fault is between me and the first local hop with the VM network (as seen by a tracert, and confirmed by ping monitors, incoming and outgoing)

2) It is NOT my modem (it has been replaced) and a reboot/reset makes no difference

3) It generally occurs between 4 and 6pm on weekday evenings. (Hint, I suspect this is when local network loading increases, kids home from school etc.) On saturdays and sundays it happens less often or at other times of the day.

4) Signal levels/SNR at my modem are fine.

5) The engineer managed to detect similar faults on customers from my local cabinet, at the times I reported faults. However at that time the standard line test showed no problem. So the issue looks to be at my local cabinet or further into the VM network. Unfortunately I don't know what tool he used to detect these faults but I think it logged resync or reconnect events from the modem/router.

6) I don't think I have had a week where I have had less than 3 days of faults, often it is every day.

So, given all that, is defies believe that a company like VM does not have a better way of diagnosing faults than the "we checked the line and it is ok now". Without any real knowledge of VMs network I can set up ping logs and show exactly when and roughly where (ie fairly local to me) the fault is. Surely VM, with your understanding of the local network, can do better? If you have nothing better, set up ping logs to all your customers on my local cabinet. Monitor them for a week or so. That will tell you if it is everyone or just a few of us with a problem. Assuming everyone, work back through your local network to isolate what part has the fault. Then fix it!

It isn't rocket science you know!!