cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading on PS5 kills my internet elsewhere

crayla
Joining in

Every time i download a game on the PS5, all the other internet connections stop working. So streaming, laptops, everything disconnects. Same when i download a game with steam

I have a hub 3.0. Is there something i can change in the router config to stop the entire bandwidth going to the PS5 when downloading a game.

I have 500 mb broadband so everything should be able to work together

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Good afternoon @cryla. 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for taking the time to post. 

I am sorry to hear that you have had some issues with downloading game on your PS5. 

Are you able to let me know,  is the PS5 connected via Ethernet cable? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Everything is over wifi. So it's the wifi that dies when the PS5 is downloading. I cant connect via Ethernet as it's not practical

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to me @crayla 

Are you able to try and connect an Ethernet cable and see if the issues dose persist. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

I know steam has a throttle feature that could help.

I guess your devices are connected to the 5GHz band. When downloading what happens to the 2.4GHz band - can you still get basic web browsing on that?

Unfortunately, most modern devices will max out virtually any connection if left to download unthrottled.

What download speed do you achieve on the PS5 / Steam?

Yeh they're connecting to 5ghz. The PS5 achieves the max download speed at its fastest. Is there a router setting or something where i can limit it to use a percentage of bandwidth?

The signal from the virgin router is so poor that i need to use mesh boxes for the rest of the house so 2.4ghz isnt an option

Hello crayla

Sadly we don't have an option to limit bandwith 

The best option is to use ethernet for Consoles 

Gareth_L