Menu
puffin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does my hub really need updating?

I just had a call on my Virgin landline phone from someone claiming to be "Jack" from Virgin Media with a strong accent from the Indian sub-continent.  He kept telling me that "we" had been notified that my router was running slow and needed updating.  I pointed out that I use the internet all day every day and hadn't noticed anything running slowly.  He insisted, but wouldn't get round to the point of actually saying what it was he wanted to do, and since he was so difficult to understand and the line was so awful I asked him to send me the notification so I could see it for myself.  At that point the line went dead - what a coincidence.

Do Virgin really do things like this?  I thought the hub updated itself automatically.  Is there some way I can check that is is operating correctly?  Thanks in advance for any help.

I have to say whenever I have spoken to the Virgin helpline they are very difficult to understand and sound like they're talking from the bottom of a bucket full of water. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does my hub really need updating?

I'd say that is a scammer!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@puffin wrote:

I just had a call on my Virgin landline phone from someone claiming to be "Jack" from Virgin Media with a strong accent from the Indian sub-continent.  He kept telling me that "we" had been notified that my router was running slow and needed updating.  <snip>

100% scam, mentioned regularly across the VM forums. VM don't make unsolicited outbound tech support calls like this, nor will they request remote access to your devices, nor will they ask for access to your online banking. (The scam usually claims it is for the purposes of processing a 'refund', which of course is fake).

Inevitably they will ring you again. Just hang up on them without talking to them.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Or pretend you are your child and need to get your daddy from upstairs who is on the bog!

I had a scammer on hold for 10 mins doing this!

Ended up saying that 'dad' had had a particularly bad curry last night and may be a while on the toilet..

Bonus points if you can leave the phone by a speaker playing Christian radio for them a 'hold' music!

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

A tempting approach for some personal satisfaction but worth keeping in mind that the scammer has now confirmed that the number dialled is actually working and there is a real person who has answered in. Winding the scammer up may just result in a greater number of future scam calls or the number being fed back into the scamming process to be used as a fake caller ID in future scam calls and then receiving irate callbacks from future recipients of the scam calls.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I think any time anyone picks up they know the number is working!

I quite enjoy engaging them!

0 Kudos
goslow
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Posted for the benefit of the OP rather than yourself @lotharmat

Difference in being constantly picked up by an answering machine or an immediate hang up (which is likely to be demoted for future attention in the overall scam calling cycle) against a conversation with a real person who might seem to be willing to believe in the narrative and engage further.

puffin
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all, I assumed it was a scam, but asked just in case. And to be brutally honest, it sounded just like the Virgin help people always sound.

I constantly get calls, usually around 11:30-12:30 am, from people with untraceable or unreachable numbers trying to tell me that "we have been notified" (those warning words again) that I have been involved in a car accident. I suppose the idea is to persuade me to make a personal injury claim, but as I know I haven't been involved in a car accident since 1967 (keeping my fingers firmly crossed here) I ignore them. We started also getting mystery calls apparently from numbers in countries in Africa and Asia, with no-one on the other end. I hang up on these people straight away, and if on the mobile outlaw the number with which this is possible.

Because in this case, it sounded like Virgin, I engaged with the caller. I suppose he wanted me to "confirm" my Virgin account details, so that he could update the router?  I asked straight out what it was he was trying to sell me, and he said "nothing".

Frankly, I cannot understand why our telephone system permits any calls to be transmitted through it if the originating number cannot be tracked and fully identified, it's not good for national security is it?  In this day and age it should be possible to kill them dead. Registering with the Telephone Preference Service years ago has had no effect at all.

Both my wife and I are in our 70s and infirm, just getting up to answer the darned landline is literally a pain.  Sorry for the rant.  Some of us are pretty much still in lockdown with no-one to communicate with.

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I don't get those any more... After I went through a massive spiel describing an accident I hade been in..

Went on for ages, describing the road - I'd pause and every time the rep started taking; I'd start up again!

Eventually I told them that I had died and they were speaking to my ghost..

The told me to f-off and hung up! - Had no more of those calls!

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Community elder
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

On serious note - Have you signed up with the Telephone Preference Service?

It does cut a lot of nuisance calls out!

https://www.tpsonline.org.uk/

0 Kudos