cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody know what these are in the Hub 5 log

Infinidim
On our wavelength

I am seeing some strange messages in the Hub 5 Log -

19-05-2023 15:08:02noticeUS profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 10; Previous Profile: 12 13; New Profile: 11 13.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

and 

9-05-2023 17:15:41noticeUS profile assignment change. US Chan ID: 10; Previous Profile: 11 13; New Profile: 12 13.;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

and also this error message as well 

18-05-2023 05:38:09error

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

The MAC addresses are none of my devices.

Anybody got any ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

asim18
Fibre optic

First two are logs of changes to your upstream channel ID number 10. It went from profile 11 to 12 on 9th May, then went from profile 11 to 12 on 19th May.

Basically logging a change in frequency and/or modulation of your upstream channel number 10. It may sometimes change due to interference/unstable signal. It's a bit like tuning a TV channel, In fact it's exactly like tuning a TV channel as DOCSIS is basically using Cable TV network to "pipe" internet through channels which would typically be used to pipe a TV signal. If one channel is snowy or has bad signal it switches to another channel.

If you go to router stats you can see individual upstream channels and their channel IDs as well as their current frequencies and modulations. DOCSIS connections will bond several "channels" at different RF frequencies to give you the total bandwidth you need.

The last one is a DHCP error, the modem will request some information from Virgin Media's DHCP server and the response received from the DHCP server was erroneous or not received. This error type is typical for VM connections.

Those MAC addresses won’t be any of your Ethernet or Wi-Fi devices, those are the MAC addresses of the RF transceiver in your modem and the RF transceiver at VM's end; the other end of your coaxial cable also known as a "CMTS".

Infinidim
On our wavelength

asim18

I am seeing a lot of these in the log, is this normal?

I am also seeing these - 

Critical

26-05-2023 08:32:39

critical

16 consecutive T3 timeouts while trying to range on upstream channel 8;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

26-05-2023 08:32:39

critical

Unicast Maintenance Ranging attempted - No response - Retries exhausted;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

26-05-2023 08:31:31

critical

Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Error

25-05-2023 21:58:16

error

DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

Do you think there is an issue? 

Thanks for the answers so far. 

Regards 

Infinidim

Hi Infinfim,

Thank you for your post. We're sorry for any issues you're having with your broadband service.

We are happy to take a look into this for you. 

I will private message you now to confirm your details. 

^Martin