Menu
akuz
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does Virgin Media block outgoing IPCAM traffic after a while?

We have installed a new Reolink NVR (Network Video Recorder) recording from 8 cameras at a business location (using Virgin Media business internet). Reolink provides an app for viewing the video from cameras remotely. They use their own P2P communication protocol to identify where the NVR is (the IP address).

After we restart the NVR, we can view the video from it remotely for about 20-30 minutes, i.e. we start the Reolink App on a phone with 4G connection, or using Reolink Client at another location (home), and we can see the streams from all cameras.

However, after about 20-30 minutes, all outgoing traffic from the NVR gets shutdown, and the cameras can no longer be viewed remotely. Note that the video from the NVR can still be viewed from the same network (inside the business location, on its local network).

We have investigated many possible reasons of what might be happening, and there are no changes in the configuration of the system that happen when it breaks down / stops streaming video outside of the internal network.

So my question is: is it possible that Virgin Media starts cutting / blocking the outgoing video traffic after 20-30 minutes after it starts? I just can't find any other reason for it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Virgin Media block outgoing IPCAM traffic after a while?

nope VM do only block NetBIOS ports that should never be on the internet
0 Kudos
akuz
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok, thanks for your reply!

So, they don't have any kind of dynamic traffic blocking thing (i.e. too much data going out on this port, let's slow it down), right?

I just can't understand why would the streams stop after a predetermined amount of time.

I have the same NVR at another location, and streams don't get cut off like that.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When it stops can you reconnect fine?

Try with the hub in modem mode and another router.
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
akuz
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

When it stops, I can’t reconnect (from outside the network) anymore. I have to go into the office, and reboot the NVR, and then after it restarts I can reconnect to it from outside the network. But this only lasts for about 20 minutes, after which all streams get shut off and I cannot reconnect to it anymore from the outside (on the internal network in the office everything continues to work fine). That’s why I’m suspecting that Virgin Media is cutting traffic. But maybe I’m wrong, and the equipment is somehow faulty, but this would be a very weird bug, if it’s true.

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You got Virgin Media business internet if you only have one IP you can change to modem mode with a better router as the business hub could be the problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
akuz
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Alessandro, I’ll try that!

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi @akux,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

For more info on what ports we block we have a dedicated page here- Blocked Internet Ports on the Virgin Network

Have you tried what Alessandro suggested?

Let us know if you still require our assistance. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
akuz
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ayisha,

Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately I haven’t been able to find where to enable modem mode for the Virgin Media Business Hub (not home). There seems to be no option for that in the business router. If you can point me where this feature is, I would appreciate it.

P.S. The blocked ports should not be a problem, as the CCTV system uses different ports. To be honest I now think this must be an issue with the hardware.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear that. I would recommend speaking with our dedicated business team who will be happy to discuss things further with you.

For more info on how to contact the team see here

Let us know how you get on. 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos