Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does Microsoft Remote Desktop and Superhub 3.0 actually work please?

Hi 

Im helping a family members small business out with their IT during lockdown. One of the staff has a works laptop at home to microsoft remote desktop into her own desktop pc in the office. Up to now she has been using Sky ADSL which was slow but worked. Last Thursday she had Virgin cable installed which is fast but doesnt work. Its 100Mb broadband and a Super Hub3 (made by Arris).

Luckily Sky doesnt switch off until the end of the month so Ive left her using that for now.

So the process is

1 - The works laptop connects the internet via SuperHub3 (SH3) at 100Mb down/10Mb up speed fine  

2 - She runs a Draytek VPN client software on the laptop to establish a VPN link to a Draytek router in the remote works office

3 - She uses Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) shortcut on  the laptop to connect to her office desktop.

On Virgin... Step 3 doesnt work.. it fails to connect to the remote pc. Step 2 has worked though because I can ping addresses on the remote office network.

Reconnect to sky and Step 3 works again.  The office side isnt refusing connections on ip address / mac address / anything complicated like that.  I have control of the office end too.

So the RDP and Super Hub3 combination seem to be the issue.

Looking through the forum a lot of people seem to have been having various remote desktop problems....but I cant find many solutions. 

Please can I ask

1/ Has anyone got RDP working successfully using the SH3? and if so how please..

Do I need to port forward ..port 3389 on the SH3 to the laptop (with a static ip address)

2/ Port forwarding on the SH3 appears problematic and a few have said theyve had more luck with the Super Hub 2AC.  Would this hub be any more successful?  (Virgins only been installed about 3 3 days so far)

3/ As a last resort if the SH3 was put into modem mode and a 3rd party router connected to circumvent the port forwarding problems....is the SH3 stable in modem mode?     

Any help/ insights gratefully received as Im not a Virgin customer myself ..... 

Thanks 

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Does Microsoft Remote Desktop and Superhub 3.0 actually work please?

@pekoz1 wrote:

3/ As a last resort if the SH3 was put into modem mode and a 3rd party router connected to circumvent the port forwarding problems....is the SH3 stable in modem mode?     

Do that.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What IP subnets are you using..

a) On the local network provided by the SH3?
b) On the remote network provided by the VPN tunnel?

Don't open any ports, the VPN tunnel provides the secure connection.

use IP config /all to get a list of all IP addresses but do this when the VPN connection is active.

How is the remote machine located (by IP address or by name)?

@pekoz1 wrote:

Hi 

Im helping a family members small business out with their IT during lockdown. One of the staff has a works laptop at home to microsoft remote desktop into her own desktop pc in the office. Up to now she has been using Sky ADSL which was slow but worked. Last Thursday she had Virgin cable installed which is fast but doesnt work. Its 100Mb broadband and a Super Hub3 (made by Arris).

Luckily Sky doesnt switch off until the end of the month so Ive left her using that for now.

So the process is

1 - The works laptop connects the internet via SuperHub3 (SH3) at 100Mb down/10Mb up speed fine  

2 - She runs a Draytek VPN client software on the laptop to establish a VPN link to a Draytek router in the remote works office

3 - She uses Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) shortcut on  the laptop to connect to her office desktop.

On Virgin... Step 3 doesnt work.. it fails to connect to the remote pc. Step 2 has worked though because I can ping addresses on the remote office network.

Reconnect to sky and Step 3 works again.  The office side isnt refusing connections on ip address / mac address / anything complicated like that.  I have control of the office end too.

So the RDP and Super Hub3 combination seem to be the issue.

Looking through the forum a lot of people seem to have been having various remote desktop problems....but I cant find many solutions. 

Please can I ask

1/ Has anyone got RDP working successfully using the SH3? and if so how please..

Do I need to port forward ..port 3389 on the SH3 to the laptop (with a static ip address)

2/ Port forwarding on the SH3 appears problematic and a few have said theyve had more luck with the Super Hub 2AC.  Would this hub be any more successful?  (Virgins only been installed about 3 3 days so far)

Any help/ insights gratefully received as Im not a Virgin customer myself ..... 

Thanks 

Mark

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

3/ The Hub3 works fine in modem mode, never used it other than in modem mode and never had any problems. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both for the replies...

Local subnet is 192.168.0.x      (apologies Im not great on subnet notation ... ie where x = 0-255)

Remote subnet is 192.168.30.x 

The remote machine is located by pc name...There is a DNS server in the remote office.

I can ping router/pc ip addresses at the remote office from the laptop after the vpn is established. However I didnt try to ping any pc names as it was late on Friday when I called.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tudor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Does the Sky router use the same local subnet range i.e. 192.168.0.x?

Is there fixed DNS set on the network card on the laptop?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like an issue with DNS.

First try connecting to the remote using its IP address rather than name.

How does the local client get provided with the address of the remote office DNS server?
What is the ordering of the VM provided DNS servers and the office DNS?

It could be that the VM DNS servers are being queried first and are coming back with an authoritative not found.

Try using fixed DNS entries on the laptop with the office DNS first

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi Carl

Yes I think that Sky does use the same subnet range as the SH3   192.168.0.x

There isnt any fixed DNS set on the laptop...

However just rethinking what I did... when I arrived in the house the laptop was connected to Sky wirelessly. I used a wired connection from the laptop to the SH3 to try Virgin (as the SH3 had been installed next the table where the laptop was)  ...got the error....and went back to trying Sky via wireless again.

This was the error

Virgin error.PNG 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I can't see the image, however I can't imagine plugging in the ethernet cable without at least disconnecting and rebooting the laptop, as well as turning off the Wifi, would have helped the situation.

0 Kudos