Menu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Do you really need and engineer?

I have recently paid for a M100 to be upgraded to M350 speeds (this hasn't happened) after speaking with a number of government IT Tec, they all agree you DON'T need to book for four-hour slot, after an hour on hold.

To come to your house (if they even bother to turn up, no call, txt, nothing and you have just waisted half a day - else the next available appointment is a week away) and do anything, it can all be done remotely, in about 6mins. I previously had an M50 upgraded to an M100 and nobody had to come around.With a degree in computer networking, I am pretty sure I am right.

PLUS - on the bill. what is this £35 'One off' installation and activation fee. I did both myself what am I paying for?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do you really need and engineer?

activation charges are not installed costs. they ally to any upgrade. its in the agreement.

You do not need an engineer to upgrade your speed. but you may need a new hub for some of the upgrades

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Somebody somewhere is operating and maintaining the kit that is used to remotely update your connection !!

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Had the upgrade been applied to your connection?

Check the hub and see. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Alas no Gary, tried last night at 04:30 and got a whopping 120Kbs... will try again later as we are still close to the peak period time (and I only got 46Kbs)

Upload always hovers at 36-37 irrespective of what time of day it is.

That was without a VPN running. The call centre doesn’t seem to know their subject, I phoned the 1111 number got a girl who admitted she was out her depth, then passed me to an arrogant guy that tried to blame me for doing something to the hub and was no better, he then passed me to a girl (wait for it) put me on hold because it was time for her break! She said she was working from home, so who were the other two I spoke to?!?!

This was VIRGIN’s own speed test by the way, I have tried others though with similar results.

I especially like the way they swell the volume of the hold music, just to make it sound you are about to be answered!!! 😊

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

"I especially like the way they swell the volume of the hold music, just to make it sound you are about to be answered!!! :smiling_face_with_smiling_eyes:"
that is down ti bitrates of the music ono a PBX system Its pretty normal

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry I meant with your degree in computer networking you could load the hub status page and check the traffic rates on your downstream and upstream to confirm what speed profile is being applied to your connection. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is not the hub, it is a known issue external to the building that was meant to be fixed in October, ther is no known starrting date for the work to be done.

0 Kudos