Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Do I require a better router than the hub you get from virgin as I want to run cable

I am moving into a little property this week and would like to hardwire as much as possible by running Ethernet, I will be gaming and streaming 4k, have 350mb connection coming next week what should I buy beforehand, I have pc, laptop, Nvidia shield pro, and Sony 4k TV with Dolby Atmos 7.1 set up. As well as Xbox one X. 

I've read that the hub you get is not that good and that I should get a better router, also what is a switch, sorry to be a pain but I've not gone online until recently and only used wifi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do I require a better router than the hub you get from virgin as I want to run cable

The Hub is not great for wifi - but it may be adequate for your needs.

Router not great but OK and it will be ok unless there are specific additional features that you are after.

For ethernet - use Cat6 cable runs to an unmanaged switch connected to the Hub. Get one that has as many 1Gb ports as you may need - 4/5/8 (or more) are common and around £20-30.  Here is one example...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PWHGQSS/

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Do I require a better router than the hub you get from virgin as I want to run cable

If your hardwiring then I would say the hub will be fine, if you need extra ports then an unmanaged switch can help you with that

I work for Virgin Media and my posts are my own opinions
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello,

If you are looking to hardwire every device then you will need an Ethernet Switch as the Hub 3 only has 4 Ethernet Ports on the back of it.
Using a switch is extremely simple, there are many videos out there if you need help, but it should just be a case of plugging the switch into a port on the Hub and then plugging devices into the switch!

As for if the Virgin router can take it, providing your signal coming into the equipment is fine and all the cabling and connections are fin then you should have no issues!

Hope this helps

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!