Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Disconnecting frequently using VPN's.

Very frustrated, just got off the phone from a third party technical service employed by VM trying to sell me a subscription service. Real professional VM.

The problem: two reputable VPN providers keep disconnecting as well as a work VPN every 5-10 minutes. Tested on friends VM lines no disconnections on all devices for over 40 minutes - but its apparently the VPN's fault.

It happens on all my devices on my line, ethernet and wireless on ALL 3 VPN's. It happens on none of my 5 friends lines on none of the VPN's.

I have had a engineer who came round who said my signal was weak and supposedly fixed that but my problem still remains.

Here is a BQM graph, i was not using internet from 2am to 10.30am, so I dont know what the spike near 4am is. Ignore 10.20pm I pinhole reset the Hub 3.0.

1.png2.png3.png4.pngbqm.png

Those other 4 photos are from ping tests VPN NOT RUNNING! Ping spikes up to 800ms, I assume this is when the VPN drops out, causing a minute reconnect.. site: https://ping.canbeuseful.com/en

I am shocked at VM using a third party team who tried to sell me a monthly subscription for something I don't need - the VPNs and my devices work flawlessly on friends vm lines, but I would just like to focus on getting the matter fixed.

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Disconnecting frequently using VPN's.

Try with the hub in modem mode.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay, doesnt that mean I wont be able to use wireless unless I buy another router?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It can be difficult diagnosing problems without some basic information.

Have you checked the 'Check Service Status' at the top of the page ?

If nothing is showing try phoning 0800 561 0061, this will tell you of more local issues that may be affecting the area. Be aware that it isn't a manned line.

Go round all the accessible co-ax connections and ensure that they are finger tight.

If everything above is OK we need do some troubleshooting; to start with …

Can you set up a Broadband Quality Monitor (BQM) at thinkbroadband.com - this will give you an insight into what is happening with the signal at the other side of the Hub, it will take a few hours to get any kind of trend showing although you can post the link straight away.

Post a link to your BQM on here.

Instructions for posting BQM Link

Under your BQM graph are two links in red.

Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate.

Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see.

On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon)

In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK - you can post the link straight away.

Then

Can you please

Type 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 in Modem mode) into your browser URL bar and press enter. 

When the page appears DO NOT LOG IN but click ‘Check Router Status’.

Copy and paste the contents of the Downstream, Upstream and Network Log tabs onto here, if you get a yellow warning click the Post button again.

A Guru will be along soon to decipher the info.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It is seemingly stable now in modem mode. I guess I'll need to buy a router. Do you recommend any that aren't that expensive and is easy to setup? I could spend £100 or so.

Why has modem mode fixed this? I don't want to spend hours maybe days setting up a router to be honest.

edit: OK looks like modem mode is very stable. Can anyone recommend a good easy to use router under £100?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Router mode is buggy the NAT does not keep sessions up when needed.
here is a router under £100
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC66U_B1-802-11ac-Gigabits-Multiple/dp/B008ABOJKS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?d...

---------------------------------------------------------------