I cannot opt out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Disable Virgin Media out of home WiFi

You will need to wait until one of the forum staff get to this thread and they can try and resolve this for you.

While I'm here, can I ask why you want to turn it off?  I personally think that having access to free wireless hotspots is a useful thing to have.  I can see no upside to turning it off only a downside, less free WiFi.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I dislike automatic opt-in for things like this, so I will opt-out just out of spite and pettiness. In all seriousness though, I am just paranoid about interference and I don't want anything on that could affect my speed. With my previous ISP, I would get somewhat regular disconnects for 3 mins around 10-11pm every few days. I put in complaints at least 5 times and every time they "sent an engineer" that never even said hello (this was before COVID) and said the problem was fixed. It wasn't and I eventually gave up. I'm sure they is plenty of proof that this opt-in will have zero effect on my internet experience but at the end of the day I have mobile data and I will never use out of home wifi. So why have something on which I don't need? It's just taking unnecessary risks.

When setting up your account on virginmedia.com they ask you on sign up if you want web filtering activated, virus protection activated. Why can they not add this option as well?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@henryblah wrote:

When setting up your account on virginmedia.com they ask you on sign up if you want web filtering activated, virus protection activated. Why can they not add this option as well?

The option exists, as shown in your screenshot, but sometimes it goes wrong and requires staff assistance to turn it off.

I have seen no evidence that this service (or a similar one provided by BT) impacts the connections of individual customers.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It definitely doesn't affect speeds on VM, the WiFi hotspot uses a separate 20Mb connection rather than sharing the customer's bandwidth 

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Your home networks & the hotspot broadcast by the hub are totally seperate entities. Nobody can see what you are doing & vice versa, nor does it impact your services. It was very handy a while ago when my connection was playing up & I could use a neighbours hotspot to make sure there was not an area issue. If everybody turned theirs off you would not be able to do this. I have got to say, with the range of the signal from Virgins hubs you are not likely to get many using it anyway.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep, as I said in previous post. I am well aware on all accounts that there is plenty of proof that there is zero interference and it uses a separate connection so will not affect my speed.

I am aware of all the benefits one can get with this service and I am just not interested and want it turned off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's been a full week now. How long does it take to fix this stupid problem. It's clearly not isolated as I have seen multiple posts on this forum with the same thing.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@henryblah wrote:
It's been a full week now. How long does it take to fix this stupid problem. It's clearly not isolated as I have seen multiple posts on this forum with the same thing.

Unless you call it in you’ll have to wait for a forum mod to reply, as told already above. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Henryblah, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community. 

Really sorry you're having trouble opting out and for the delay in getting in touch, we have been busier than usual. 

Has this been sorted for you since? 

If not then please reply to the personal message I'm sending now and we can grab some details from there. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos