cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable 5ghz button greyed out

Frostyballs
Tuning in

Just got a hub 6 and need to reconnect smart plugs and smart bulbs, which need to be on 2.4ghz, to our network.

However, unlike the previous hub 3, when going into the hub 6 website, the buttons to disable the 5ghz and 2.4ghz signals are greyed out, and doesn't allow either signal to be disabled.

So how can I temporarily disable the 5ghz signal to connect the smart plugs and bulbs?

6 REPLIES 6

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Assuming you mean a Hub 5?  Anyway, try disabling the Smart Optimisation first and see if the allows you to switch off the 5Ghz band temporarily. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Frostyballs
Tuning in

Sorry - yes Hub 5. Tried disabling the Smart Optimisation and no difference.

Client62
Alessandro Volta

Your VM Hub regardless of model should be operating on BOTH 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I suspect the problem is the Hub's 2.4GHz Wi-Fi is not working.

Hi @Frostyballs,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with the wireless/Wi-Fi bands from your Hub. Can you try rebooting the Hub and see if you notice any improvement?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Suzannedawson37
Joining in

Hi. I am having the same issue  - did you find a solution.  Tried phoning virgin and not getting any resolution. 

Client62
Alessandro Volta

The issues some have encountered is with 2.4Ghz devices that are unable to find the Hub 5 2.4Ghz 802.11ax Wi-Fi signal.

i.e. the laptop or the IoT fails to detect / list the Hub 5 SSID as an available Wi-Fi service.

For some customers the solution has been an RE450/AC1750 Wireless Repeater.

The RE450 does connect to the Hub 5 on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz and extends the signal but it does so on the more mature and more compatible 802.11n and 802.11ac modes   ( like a Hub 3 or a Hub 4 or a BT / Sky Router ).