Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Did anything change with Superhub 3.0 firmware recently?

Hi all,

I'm usually a homeworker, so know what I can get away with and the limitations of my Superhub 3.0 , where my signal strength drops around the house etc and my set up has been stable up until yesterday.

So does anyone know if any new firmware has been pushed out to Super Hub 3.0s recently. I saw lots of wifi connection drop outs on my laptop yesterday, in a position in the house, close to the hub, where I wouldn't normally have any issues.  Me and the kids saw connectivity slow down and eventually we decided to have 10 mins downtime while we rebooted the router.

When it came back up, things were OK - but I noticed my printer would not stay connected to the 2G network for anything more than a few seconds and have had to move it to an ethernet connection to keep it connected stably.

My current firmware is: 9.1.1811.401

Just wondering if anything changed, I'm not aware of. Windows 10 has had some feature updates to 1909 around our device landscape - but the issue with the printer made me suspect something more fundamental might have changed this week, like a router update.

Thanks in advance for any info.

MC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Did anything change with Superhub 3.0 firmware recently?

no updates that i know of - not been any for a while

it could be that new 3rd party routers have come on line near you - that can certainly have an effect or a reset of the hub would take it bach to default so the wifi channels will not be split and smart wifi would be back on - so check that - also download inSSIDer or similar to check what other routers are around and what channels they are using choose one that are not busy

all that said the wifi on the hub3 is ok for many but with many at home around you the wifi environment is likely to have changed and that may be the simple reason

an investment in a 3rd party router and the hub3 in modem mode is likely to solve all your wifi problems - many makes - many prices - for a start look at te asus range - they are highly thought of on here

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - that's god to know. I'll keep diagnosing - in between trying to get some work done 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Tony:

Well... the Superhub 3.0 with firmware 9.1.1811.401 + modem mode has an intermittent latency/packet drop bug so unfortunately we can't recommend this as an alternative at the moment 😕

Some examples - but i can find more:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-loss-and-latency-issues-for-a-...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Intermittent-high-latency/td-p/4173731

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/High-Latency-and-Packet-Loss/m-p/4189422

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Packet-loss-high-latency-spikes-and-random-...

But I agree, if there was no bug it is the perfect solution (while a bit more costly)

Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

.401 is the latest and it was released a couple of months ago.  As per VM policy they don't update all Hubs at the same time, but stagger the roll out, so you may have only received this recently.  And also as usual VM policy, there are no firmware change notes to see what the update was.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@mazaru wrote:

Well... the Superhub 3.0 with firmware 9.1.1811.401 + modem mode has an intermittent latency/packet drop bug so unfortunately we can't recommend this as an alternative at the moment 😕  <snip>

Possibly only in areas of heavy load.?  I've used the Hub 3 in Modem mode since day one, and all other SuperHubs before it, and have no packet loss on my TBM. However, I will say l live in an low density area, so not too many users around here.  I guess it's hit and miss on the loading of the VM network.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi

What's your SH3 version? Is it 9.1.1811.401 as well?

Mine was working fine before the upgrade to this version.

The intermittent latency/packet drop issue is exacerbated with high number of sessions. (running my torrent client kills it 100% of the time in modem mode)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@mazaru wrote:

@Adduxi

What's your SH3 version? Is it 9.1.1811.401 as well?

Mine was working fine before the upgrade to this version.

The intermittent latency/packet drop issue is exacerbated with high number of sessions. (running my torrent client kills it 100% of the time in modem mode)

@mazaru  Don't torrent, so cant comment.   Yes, Hub 3 latest firmware, 401.  I've noticed no difference since the update.  I have a work VPN up for 10 hours a day, with no issues.  Evenings are usual mix of a bit of Destiny 2 and TV streaming.  TBM's are below.  Note I have DualWAN links for work redundancy.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/9d96f213abb67ad230121b6058883f10a9... 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/8f85aae2fba95de8854ef7313775b06fcd... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi All,

I have my HUB in modem mode and its version is  9.1.1811.401. I have recently seen my HUB lose internet connectivity every hour or so. Is there away to test an older firmware on the hub to see if the issue is resolved? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Once a hub has been update I am afraid that there is no way of going back to an earlier version.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos