cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Devolo powerline and Hub 3 stopped working

camberwell_cat
Joining in

I have been using Devolo 1200 powerline for several years with a Hub 3 and all has been fine. I have just re-contracted and 3 days ago Virgin ‘updated’ the hub to my new 250gb broadband speed. Immediately, the powerline stopped working. I have rebooted everything, checked cables. They find each other to create a network, but the ethernet cable to the Hub3 isn’t delivering broadband. I’ve sporadically gotten some broadband, but then it stops working again after a few hours. I can’t just use ‘virgin pods’ as we have equipment in cabinets that black signal and also need the broadband in the garage which is detached.

14 REPLIES 14

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub. Do not reboot it after, just let the Hub reboot itself as needed. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

I don't see how a speed upgrade Immediately makes your powerline stop working.

Must be a firmware update that did it as a reboot or reset should not fix it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Client62
Legend

Use the Devolo app to see how well & if all of your network of Powerline adaptors are paired into one network.

An intermittent fault is typical of a failing network cable. 

camberwell_cat
Joining in

Update to replies, I have rebooted and reset the hub several times to no effect. I have changed all the Ethernet cables already to exclude these being an issue. I can’t access the powerline now on the Devolo app so this doesn’t help me out as the app doesn’t work. I do think a firmware update has happened somewhere which is causing the powerline to keep disconnecting. I can’t work out what though. These are not powerline with WiFi adaptors.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you access the Devolo PLA in isolation?  i.e. connect a laptop/PC to the PLA with a cable off the network, so to speak?  Maybe the PLA is broken?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

This is from our Hub 3 menu at :   Admin >>> Info
Software version: 9.1.2208.100   ( it has been on this version for 12+ months ).

Try a laptop on the end of the cable to the first Powerline adaptor, does it gain internet access ?

camberwell_cat
Joining in

Further comments, I can get intermittent broadband on a laptop via Ethernet. I cannot get third party software onto a laptop as I do not have a personal laptop so I can’t use any of the Devolo management tools that way. 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Either get new powerline or get a new router with 1Gb ports and put hub in modem mode

which is more likely to work is down to you🙄

---------------------------------------------------------------

I used to have a separate router and ran the Hub in modem mode. Virgin said they would not accept  this set up for the WiFi guarantee. So I was basically told to stop doing that. I don’t want to buy another £100 worth of powerline equipment if I don’t know for certain it will work. Virgin have said the broadband speed may be causing the powerline to trip. I can’t validate this but if so, new powerline isn’t going to help.