Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Devices intermittently losing internet, even with strong wifi connection

My devices keep losing connection with the internet on my VM Hub 3.

In the case of PC's, they show strong wifi signal. On video calls, I see the connection quality tail off over time before stopping completely. And my Amazon Echos seem to randomly lose connection.

This happens on a device-by-device basis. So my laptop can stop working and my wife's laptop can be working fine. Same with phones. Disconnecting and reconnecting usually fixes it for a while.

This is not a signal strength issue. It happens in the same room as the VM Hub. 

I've also noticed that the Hub will sometimes refused to assign an IP address to a phone or laptop that's been restarted. This only seems to happen on the 5 GHz band because the Hub will assign an IP address on the 2.4 GHz band. This problem requires a Hub reboot to fix it.

Have followed advice in other posts in the VM Community - I've turned off all the wifi auto settings in the router and renamed the 5Ghz connection, so that I can choose which band to connect to.

My Hub is currently showing 12 wireless and 2 Ethernet  devices connected. I'd guess there are never more than 15.

Called VM support over the weekend but they were about as unhelpful as anyone could be. The agent said that I need to subscribe to the service that gets me a repeater. End of conversation! I asked for the issue to be escalated and was promised a callback but nothing! Pretty shocking, really.

Any help welcome!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Devices intermittently losing internet, even with strong wifi connection

Do a 60 second pinhole reset on the hub.

The hubs WiFi output is poor and can be resolved with a mesh system or better router 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi A449

Have you followed what @gary_dexter has advised yet 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I would like to add to this.  The problem isn't related to signal strength.  I have a strong connection throughout the house.  I also have Powerline adapters working excellently, MOST of the time.  Bandwidth is strong, maximum output from the sockets all the time.

I get intermittent drop outs from both Wireless and cabled connections (wired through the powerline).  So, its too much of a coincidence to suggest a better wifi connection is required.  My laptop, or PC could drop out any time, without notice, both in different rooms.  Yet my wifes laptop (wifi) can stay connected throughout.

At first i thought it was a windows 10 thing, but notice that my phone occassionally drops out too.  Its more difficult to check that though given it can swap to 4G at any time.

This issue is most frustrating, especially now I work from home.  Surely there must be more people with this problem, and a suitable answer somewhere?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You didn’t advise in your first post that the wired was dropping as well.

Post the Network, Upstream and Downstream logs from the hub admin pages 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Two different people Gary, my problem is the same as the original poster, but it also includes wired issues.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

HI wilfy50

Can you follow the following link here and post the results please? 

Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Yes. I've done a factory reset with the pinhole on the back and configured the Hub from scratch.

Dropout is not OS specific - Android and Win devices all lose connection individually.

Two other things:

1. 5MHz band is much worse for dropout (unrelated to signal strength).

2. Had a complete loss of Internet yesterday, including Ethernet connected devices (TV and Hive hub). A reboot resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have no issues with wired devices (other than when all devices lose internat connection!).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Same here... been fine since January install, then this last week has been awful for wifi drop outs, especially on 5G and getting around 90Mb when working, when it used to by in the region of 200Mb (on the oomph 500Mb package). I appreciate 5G isn't as strong, but I haven't moved my laptop and has been fine up until now. I have now hard wired my laptop to the router and still only getting 90Mb. I can see there are other recent threads saying the same, so this cannot simply be a coincidence. 

0 Kudos