cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delayed installation

syxia
Joining in
I signed up with virginmedia in end October 2023 for an installation date of 4/11/23. This was delayed to 4/12/23 and subsequently 29/12/23, because of problems with external works. 

The engineers came down a few weeks ago and couldn’t complete the external works because of a ‘blocked duct’, and has not been down since. As the upcoming appointment for the internal installation draws closer, I feel that it is likely to be postponed again. Calling virginmedia over the past few weeks wasn’t very helpful either as they did not have any other information. 

I am extremely dissatisfied with the current situation as I do not have an internet connection over the past 2 months, and it looks like there is no end in sight. I have made a complaint on the complaints portal a few weeks ago and there is no response either. I feel that I will have to take this up with the communication ombudsman soon.
4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Unfortunately the ombudsman won't be any use to you in pushing the installation along as the ombudsman cannot compel VM to install for you. The ombudsman will, however, be useful at the end of the installation process in making sure that VM pays you the correct compensation for the delay (working on the assumption that VM will try to dodge paying or try to pay you a lesser amount than is due).

You should make sure you are keeping a detailed record of events (dates, times of all calls, messages, texts etc. along with any missed appointments and failed appointments where someone turns up but no work was carried out). Keep the record in a timeline format with links from the timeline to each piece of recorded evidence. This will make it easy for you in the future to put forward a case to arbitration for the correct compensation, should that be necessary.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

In the meantime you should be thinking about what temporary measures you can use (Openreach connection on a rolling 30 day contract or an unlimited data SIM on a rolling 30 days contract, for example) if you have not done so already.

Unfortunately, you will get no sensible or reliable answers from VM on how/when/if the work will progress upon which you can base any plans in the meantime.

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey syxia, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am so sorry to hear about this.

I can see since you posted here you have been in touch with the team how did this go? 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

I've called virgin media on saturday and was informed that they do not know when the engineers are coming down next for the external works. I've been told it's been outsourced to a company called Avonline and the alleged deadline for the external works is 18/12/23.

I've sent an email to Avoline and they basically told me not to contact them because of GDPR legislations, and to contact only virigin media.

So now I'm stuck with nobody to contact to confirm any appointments, and my only option is to wait for someone to come at some point. Looking at the previous track record of multiple delays, I am not optimistic about my upcoming final installation date on 29 Dec 2023. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See this old post..

Dont bother chasing it. Just let the installation play out. Do nothing. You will pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is actually installed and activated. And even from then you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs.  Or keep it if you like it after those 14 days

In the meantime, keep any existing BB supply you have on a rolling monthly contract.  Or can you connect to Openreach, Sky, BT etc - or to a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract?    Three (& Smarty) recently had a 30-day 4G unlimited package for ~£20.   If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course.   As said, you will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

And then re. install compensation - see the Ofcom rules….

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.