cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delay after delay to installation and no real response

AspiLiz
Tuning in

Virgin have delayed our installation again and again. We had an initial date booked in on 1st of April which was pushed back almost a month to 20th. After waiting in all day on 20th April they told me it was rescheduled to 2nd June (despite me calling them up on the day of 20th and confirming with them).

When I spoke to the clueless operator they could not even confirm it would actually happen in 2nd of June. My partner and I both work from home and need wifi to do our jobs, but all this confusion on top of awful service has meant we couldn't even find an alternative option.

I submitted a formal complaint asking for confirmation of compensation for the delay, an explanation and a confirmed installation date and the basic reply gives us nothing to go on - just tells me to call them again which I've already done many times.

Does anyone have any experience of having installation delayed by several months and what we can expect or if we should just cut ties now and give up on any compensation? I've spoken to the operators at least 7 times and have had no reliable information given to me. Is it worth going to the ombudsman and can I expect any success with that? 

Any support would be much appreciated

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AspiLiz wrote:

Virgin have delayed our installation again and again. We had an initial date booked in on 1st of April which was pushed back almost a month to 20th. After waiting in all day on 20th April they told me it was rescheduled to 2nd June (despite me calling them up on the day of 20th and confirming with them).

<snip>

Does anyone have any experience of having installation delayed by several months and what we can expect or if we should just cut ties now and give up on any compensation? I've spoken to the operators at least 7 times and have had no reliable information given to me. Is it worth going to the ombudsman and can I expect any success with that? 

Any support would be much appreciated

Read a few more of the similar topics on the 'Quick Start' forum and you will get a general idea of how a typical 'delayed installation' topic plays out. It is a very common problem on here. Due to the way VM has outsourced the installation work, VM seems to have very little control, communication or influence over the installation processes. If the sub-contractor doing the work encounters anything more than a straightforward installation, then the customer may experience delays of varying length.

You will get no useful info from VM on what is happening/will happen because the VM people you speak to simply don't know and have no means to access relevant info or influence any changes.

Usual advice on here is to put in place some temporary measures to keep you connected while you wait for VM (such as extra mobile data or a data SIM on a rolling monthly contract, hotspot etc.)

Usually VM seems to push dates into the future in 3 week increments. The fact that your next date has been pushed into June suggests your wait might be a longer one rather than a shorter one.

Thanks very much for your advice! I've seen some of the other boards and it is outstanding how bad it can be. Finally got through to them again and after threatening going to the ombudsman etc etc they have confirmed I'll be entitled to the compensation from the 20th and they've brought the date forward to 10th May (although I'll believe it once I've seen it). I've asked for everything in writing, but again will believe that when I see it.

I think you're right in that it's going to be a longer wait... It's so counter intuitive on their behalf - if they'd just been honest up front I'd have happily made the switch over to them for the faster product once they rolled out support in my area but this is just a nightmare for everyone involved. If anyone else has similar problems arguing for the OFGEM compensation and threatening going to an independent has had the best result so far but still by no means resolved. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@AspiLiz wrote:

Thanks very much for your advice! I've seen some of the other boards and it is outstanding how bad it can be. Finally got through to them again and after threatening going to the ombudsman etc etc they have confirmed I'll be entitled to the compensation from the 20th and they've brought the date forward to 10th May (although I'll believe it once I've seen it). I've asked for everything in writing, but again will believe that when I see it.

I think you're right in that it's going to be a longer wait... It's so counter intuitive on their behalf - if they'd just been honest up front I'd have happily made the switch over to them for the faster product once they rolled out support in my area but this is just a nightmare for everyone involved. If anyone else has similar problems arguing for the OFGEM compensation and threatening going to an independent has had the best result so far but still by no means resolved. 

The matter of what date the compensation should be paid from is one of further discussion and interest on the forums, as VM has invented this idea of a 'provisional' installation date to absolve itself of paying full compensation from the first install date given. See this topic for further info

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Compensation-advice-please/td-p/5314377

Hopefully the OP on the above topic will establish whether a 'provisional' date really is applicable. If it is, any customer receiving a 'provisional' date may be in for a long wait and much-reduced compensation.

Yes! They did acknowledge when I just spoke that I would be entitled to this compensation - but I have asked for this in writing. 

I'll keep the thread updated if I have any success! 

Hi AspiLiz, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. 

I am sorry to hear that the service has been delayed, this would happen when the cabining need to be replaced and once the outside works have been complete by the contractors we would book the install in at the next available slot. The service is subject to availability. If you are unable to wait you will be able to cancel the order at any time.

Kind regards, Chris.