Menu
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Deco e3 No internet VM Hub 3

Hi

Just installed a deco e3 system - all as instructed. Hub 3 in modem mode, deco in router mode. 
All fine but the deco cannot get out onto the internet - almost like the hub is blocking it? 
Plugging directly into the hub via Ethernet (I know only one device can connect) - on my laptop gets an internet connection fine. 
As soon as the deco plugs in - everything rebooted, it just says cannot get into the internet?
Internet type set to dynamic on the deco. 

ive tried using the deco as a pass through - plugging my laptop in to the second port - nothing too  

is there anything I’m doing wrong here? 

Thanks in advance. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Deco e3 No internet VM Hub 3

Did you connect it this way - try again.

First change the first Deco unit to be in DHCP (& Nat)" mode.

Then, disconnect all cables from the Deco units and unplug them all from power. Put the VM Hub into modem mode ( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!). Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub MUST then be powered off.

Switch the first Deco on and then put in the WAN cable into the VM hub. NOW power up the VM hub leave a few minutes, and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect other Deco units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You've tried unplugging all ethernet devices, and powering off the hub when in modem mode, then restart the hub, when it's back on line ("magenta" LED), then plug in the Deco?   When the Hub is in modem mode it "locks" to the first device MAC address it sees until restarted, so if you've just put it in modem mode and then plug in the Deco, it will still be locked to the computer you used to put it in modem mode, so the Deco won't have an IP address or internet access.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ckcoleman84
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thank you both so much! That’s sorted it. I figured it would be something stupid!  
That’s great. Everything is now up and running. 

Massively appreciate it. 

thanks again  

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello @ckcoleman84,

Thank you for reaching out to us on the community page.

I can see that your issue has been resolved! That is great news, I am sorry that we did not reach you until now.

I hope you have a lovely day.

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos