Menu
Simonbluff
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Deco S4

I want to put Ethernet cables to each of 3 deco.  My house is old with thick walls.  It worked at first and then we got drop outs.  Please advise how to fix this.  

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Deco S4

If it worked at first but not now, then something has changed, and my suspicion is not the Deco but your broadband connection.  Connect to the hub by clicking on this link http://192.168.100.1/  That should pull up the log in page for the hub.  But don't log in, just click on the link "Check router status"  That'll bring up a window with five tabs.  Open the Downstream tab.  Select all the text (Ctrl-A if using a keyboard), copy it (Ctrl-C), then paste it (Ctrl-V) into a reply here as text, not screenshots.  Post that, do the same for the Upstream and Network log.  You'll get an error message when you post the Network log, just click on "post" a second time.  Then we can check for any obvious problems with power, noise or error counts.

If that draws a blank there's another check on the incoming line we can get you to setup, and only if that also looks clean would I start recommending the tedious process of wiring up the Deco units.  In principle it's simple - just put a £15 ethernet switch on the primary Deco, that'll give you four or more ethernet ports, then run a long Cat 7 ethernet cable from the switch to each Deco unit.  Simple...until you try and route long cables neatly all round the house, which can be an arduous trial of your DIY and decor skills, and may require you to learn how to put an RJ45 plug onto a bare ethernet cable if you're drilling through walls (unless you fancy drilling and filling 15mm holes). 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Also, set up a 'Broadband Quality Monitor'. This will monitor the state of your connection and record any network dropouts etc - You can do this at ThinkBroadband (https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Simonbluff
Joining in
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The http above says I cannot connect to server.  I’ve got various Deco now and speeds as low as 29 on 600 package

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there @Simonbluff

Welcome to our Community and thanks so much for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you seem to be having some issues with your mesh WiFi system? 

I have located your account to run through some basic checks with your broadband, we can see that your Hub was rebooted around 5 days ago. All your signal levels are within the parameters we would expect, there are no errors showing at all and no known area faults. 

Are you only getting the drops outs via your Deco or does it happen with devices connected direct to the Hub? At the time of checking there are no issues with any devices currently connected to the Hub. 

Have you been able to set up the BQM since your reply on Monday? 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Simonbluff
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Close to the router we’ve decent speeds but throughout the rest of the house speeds are as low as 30mbps. 
we need a solution here please 

thnaks for contacting 

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simon,

Thanks for the update, we are sorry to hear this, when you advised you had Deco how are they connected, what speeds do you get when you do a test via a wired connection?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Simonbluff
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

they’re wireless other than the main one. 
when we added wired ones the connection across the whole network kept dropping out.  
when I ordered virgin I told the lady I had a huge old house and to send the engineer with boosters.  She didn’t and now I’ve got much less than I expected 

help appreciated

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Simon,

I appreciate the WIFI may not be ideal for the property you have there are so many posts on here for the same issue and a lot of people do recommend a more powerful 3rd party Router and putting ours in Modem mode, this is something I have done myself and it has solved the issue.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So what are your wired connections like direct to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos