Menu
Suest1
Just joined
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Damaged cable

How is a cable repaired that has been placed 10 cms under soil and been severed by a garden spade? Why would it be put there in the first place?! Nothing to show it was there. Engineer booked for tomorrow - will he have the right equipment?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Damaged cable

You basically have to remember its there. Cables are & always have been only buried 6 to 10 inches down. Even when trunking it is put in (most of the original companies that put these drop lines in didn't bother) it is lightweight & will not stop a shovel.

As far as a resolution is concerned, if there is enough slack in the cable a "gel-pack" connector can be used. But bear in mind this will only be buried to the same depth. If there is not enough slack then a drop line repull will be required. This is a separate two man contractor job & will cause delays at present, if other posts on the forum are anything to go by.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Most likely the tech will repair the cable with a waterproof joint box to get you working again. Longer term fix may be to replace the cable in the future if deemed necessary.

The standard of installation of VM cables is a regular source of unhappiness from customers on the forum.

0 Kudos
Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Suest1,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear you experienced this with cabling. How did the appointment go? Is the issue since resolved?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos