Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

DNS outage 26-May-2020

Hi

Did anyone else notice a DNS failure yesterday evening?

Our Android tablets claimed "no internet" off an on from about 2030 until past 2300. Hub 3.0 had the usual power light on it and nothing else (it also suffers from sporadic loss of cable connection, there's an engineer booked for that).

Windows PC was working fine though and the Internet there was faster than I have ever seen it and this was new content, not cached. All devices connected over wifi.

The difference is that the PC is configured to use Google DNS whereas the Android gets lumbered with the Virgin Media DNS from the Hub's DHCP.

A failure of Virgin Media DNS would explain a lot of the intermittent failures I have been experiencing, but only if others see the problem too. I am in area 31, Andover.

Thanks,
Rob.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: DNS outage 26-May-2020

Area codes refer to billing areas not geographical locations.

Is the issue now resolved?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

It's not so much about whether the issue is resolved, indeed the issue appears to be an unreliable Virgin Media DNS, so it is intermittent.

I'm wanting to know if anyone else had a similar outage to support the idea that Virgin Media has an ongoing DNS problem or dispel it. I don't really want to have to purchase another wifi router just to configure DHCP to supply the Google or other public DNS in order to get a reliable service - that's like paying twice.

It does seem like the problem is DNS, I just don't have enough information to be able to get to a probable root cause.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Doesn’t mean it effected everyone nationally though - it could have been a localised issue.

I don’t use Virgin DNS and set my devices to CloudFlare however the kids devices are still set to Virgin to allow for the web filtering (until I get my own kit) and they weren’t effected.

Getting your own kit is the best way forwards regardless of what ISP you are with. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Certainly likely to be local I think. I was coming round to the idea of just using the Hub as a modem, just not enthusiastic about spending the time on it. But here I am spending time on what I think is a Virgin Media originating problem. Intermittent problems are the worst.

I was looking however at Android specific DNS problems and they do seem to exist, not that I understand how it could be related to IPv6 when the DNS server is an IPv4 address. The use of a different DNS on the PC might be a red herring. These issues kicked off quite recently, I wonder if there has been a config change at the VM side. I have not changed anything on the wifi or Hub, but extended the wired Ethernet through a powerline adapter between a pair of switches, separating the powerline from the Hub itself (Hub > Switch > Powerline > Switch).

Many years ago I tinkered with Tomato on a Linksys, I may dig that old beast out and see if the transceiver still has a range on it. I'm not sure I'm getting any benefit from the 5GHz out of the Hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Can you not set a DNS server address on Android? You certainly can on all Apple devices.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Test your theory that it's a DNS problem by resetting your PC's DNS to VM's when the next failure occurs.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

Can you not set a DNS server address on Android? You certainly can on all Apple devices.

Yes, you can set a DNS server on Android. Here are the details, use the DNS server of your choice eg. 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 rather than the one in the example.

https://support.nordvpn.com/Connectivity/Android/1377835482/Change-your-DNS-servers-on-Android.htm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have done that with one PC, but not the work one, that would be silly.

My building suspicion is that it's an Android specific problem, maybe related to the older tablets we have here. It stopped working for Android over lunch, but came alive again very quickly, didn't get the PC change done in time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Oh look, replies are not nested. To be clear, one PC is now back to using DHCP provided DNS servers, so we'll see.

On Android, you can only set DNS servers if you also set a static IP address, so it would not work for visiting 'droids, maybe not a problem though. I'll pick one of the tablets and see. I had forgotten about the long press to modify, thanks!

Doesn't change the fact that Virgin Media DNS and the Android tablets don't seem to get on, so all this is great and useful, but amounts to working around the problem. Great forum discussion and could help position the problem with Virgin Media to maybe get a resolution.

Regards,
Rob.

0 Kudos