cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS Rebind attack warning - help needed

TheJH
Joining in

I get a DNS Rebind attack warning whenever I try and access the website of my own business using my Hub 3 router. This has been an issue since Friday. There is no problem when using mobile data or a VPN, and no-one else has the issue - I've asked several friends who also use Virgin broadband.

The sites SSL certificate was about to be (and was) renewed over the weekend and so i thought that might be a factor. but the problem continues. this is on all browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox).

I've cleared cache and history several times with no change.

Is there something I need to change in the router settings or maybe AVG? I've looked at both but don't see anything obvious.

Any help/ideas would be very gratefully received..

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @TheJH 👋.

Thanks for reaching out, apologies for the delay in responding and thanks to the community assisting. Can I ask your own business webpage, did you build that using things like SquareSpace, GoDaddy & Wix, or did you hire a web developer to do this for you?

I am thinking that a part of the coding within the builder may be playing a part in our Virus safe in thinking that it may be a malicious site although it is not along with Google DNS and Open DNS. Have you tried switching off Virgin Virus Safe and using your own for protection like Avast and checking to see if it is that?

Please let us know, I will take a further look into this, also, can I ask the website in question, so we have the source that is causing you the issue to refer to.

Sabrina

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Client62
Legend

I have a Hub 3 in Router mode, happy to try accessing website and report back the result if that helps.

Does a change from using VM's DNS to using a Public DNS (E.g. Google DNS or OpenDNS) make any difference ?

Thanks for replying. I just tried Google DNS and OPenDNS and have the same problem.

This only happens on this one website (mine) and from the Hub 3 router in my house. I've had several other people access the site today with no problem - and I can with a VPN or using a mobile hotspot.

The website hosting company says it's a VirginMedia/router issue but can't help further. 

Thanks anyway,

J

Hi @TheJH 👋.

Thanks for reaching out, apologies for the delay in responding and thanks to the community assisting. Can I ask your own business webpage, did you build that using things like SquareSpace, GoDaddy & Wix, or did you hire a web developer to do this for you?

I am thinking that a part of the coding within the builder may be playing a part in our Virus safe in thinking that it may be a malicious site although it is not along with Google DNS and Open DNS. Have you tried switching off Virgin Virus Safe and using your own for protection like Avast and checking to see if it is that?

Please let us know, I will take a further look into this, also, can I ask the website in question, so we have the source that is causing you the issue to refer to.

Sabrina

TheJH
Joining in

Thanks Sabrina.

I've been in touch directly with support and explained all the details.. they could access the site with no difficulty. They promised a response within 72 hours but that didn't come... rather than go through it all here, the support ticket is P012118131. I trust you can access that? 

The interesting thing is that I now have intermittent access. Sometimes it's blocked, sometimes not. I'm doing a redesign at the moment and having to access the wordpress dashboard via VPN. So it's frustrating rather than impossible. I'd like to get to the bottom of it. 

I've no idea how to switch off Virgin Virus Safe.. I don't think I use it - not an installed application anyway - unless it's something on the router controls (which I can access).

Thanks for your help, 

J

Hi J, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Checking the ticket number you've given, this is still being investigated by the relevant teams with no update as of yet I'm afraid. 

You can change the Websafe settings and learn more about what it is here. Please try turning off and seeing if this resolves things for you. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Client62
Legend

VM Web Safe settings for Hubs in Router mode

Login to the Virgin Media online account at : https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media

Then visit : Account Settings >>> Online Security

Set Virus Safe to OFF
Set Child Safe to OFF

A computer that uses any Public DNS in the network settings will normally bypass Child Safe and Virus Safe

nslookup hp.com 8.8.8.8   skips past Child safe & Virus Safe.

TheJH
Joining in

Thanks for the replies. I checked on the VM account and websafe has never been switched on. So that's not the culprit I'm afraid.

The problem continues, but it is intermittent. Sometimes we can access the website immediately, and at other times it is blocked. That's on any device in the house using the VM wifi. Using a VPN is ok. Hopefully support will respond soon 🙂  

Hi @TheJH,

Thanks for getting back to us about this. Are you noticing any pattern to when this intermittently happens? What appears on the screen exactly when the block is in effect?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!