cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP reservation limit?

Philipmather
Tuning in

Screenshot_20230113_082310_Chrome.jpg

 ...seems to be a limit of 32 (🤣) on the hub 4? Any reason why its so low when the default IP range is a multiple of that? Is it any bigger on a hub 5?

6 REPLIES 6

Philipmather
Tuning in

Picture trimmed a bit for moderation reasons.

Screenshot_20230113_082310_Chrome.jpg

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I thought it was a user changeable parameter in the settings. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

I can add reservations, but no more than 32 it seems? There's no option to change it, if I screenshot any more of the screen then it gets moderated for having IPs and MACs in so... little point.

I mean I could disable DHCP and run my own but... I don't really need to and I can't imagine why you'd limit it to 32 either. I've compiled several DHCP server implementations from scratch and I can't even think of a reason for only allowing 32, it's tiny! 

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I can't even think of a reason for only allowing 32, it's tiny! "
I can, the VM hub is a cheap ‘PoundShop’ one and probably cannot cope with more devices than that.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Well... that was my deepest fear. 😂 Equally however we aren't exactly paying pound shop prices.

I was hoping someone with a Hub 5 might be able to fill in a few fake reservations to see if it hits the same limit?

...I guess I'll disable it in the Hub and run pi-hole perhaps.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Philipmather wrote:

Well... that was my deepest fear. 😂 Equally however we aren't exactly paying pound shop prices.   <snip>

Yes, prices are high, but the Hub's have never been the best if asked to do anything substantial, IMHO.  I can't think of any ISP who gives a "proper" router as part of the package, they all have "faults".  Some are so locked down, they offer no customisation at all.

If you are wanting to do any serious networking, just stick the Hub in Modem mode and forget about it.  Buy your own solution and move on.  There are many users, including myself, who are in this position.  The Hub's as modems are pretty good and shouldn't give any problems.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks