cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP on HUB5 not working

georgeS79
On our wavelength

The DHCP server in the Hub5 device stopped working, no clue how. So whatever devices I need connecting to the internet I have to assign them a static IP. The devices for which the DHCP lease didn't expired yet are still connected but soon enough that lease will expire and they won't be connected.

The issue is that some devices don't support static IP addresses (Amazon Fire sticks for example), so they're kinda useless for the moment.

For a few good hours today, because of this issue our phones were using the mobile data instead if the home wifi, can can't wait for my mobile bill this month...

If anyone from Virgin is reading this, please advise.

Regards,

George

9 REPLIES 9

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

All VM will do is say reset the hub.

It will happen again so best to use hub in modem mode and own router with 1Gb ports 

---------------------------------------------------------------

georgeS79
On our wavelength

Already restarted the router, that was the 1st thing I did. 

Yeah, seriously considering what you just said about the router in modern mode.

Cheers. 

Client62
Legend

Failure of the DHCP service on Hub 5s in Router mode is a known fault - sadly VM remain silent on the matter.

Currently the only reliable fix is to use the Hub 5 in Modem mode with a 3rd party WiFi Router.

georgeS79
On our wavelength

Any recommendations for a decent wifi router please?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Usually ASUS, Linksys, TP-Link or Netgear. Also consider Mesh systems for better WiFi coverage. 
I use a non WiFi router and Access Points for WiFi with my Hub 5 in modem mode.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

georgeS79
On our wavelength

Ended up getting a TP-LINK Archer AX73, only been a few hours but see the improvements over the hub 5 😁🤞

Hi George. How is the AX73 going? Having same trouble with my Hub 5. 

Thanks.

I'm interested to know your set up? Is it expensive to have a non wifi router and access point?

Yeah, going great, very pleased with it. Easy to set-up and configure according to your needs, very intuitive.

And of course, no more issues with the DHCP from hub5. Or other ones, for that matter.

Like I said, very pleased with it for my household needs.