Menu
Thundertorii
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

DHCP lease rewnewing

I have contacted virgin about this several times and they refuse to acknowledge or answer the question.

I have a work laptop which uses cisco any connect for VPN. I am experiencing disconnects hourly (to the exact minute) on this device. I have been sent 3 different work laptops and all have the same issue. This issue occurs only when connected to virgin.

I have acknowledged there might be something that is triggering the issue, however this is not device specific, and occurs only on this router. 

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps with multiple teams, and even took out homeworks to get gadget help who still fobbed me off. 

By doing my own investigation and troubleshooting I have discovered that the disconnection time for each hour (ie 33 minutes past the hour) correlates to the timing in the dhcp lease. Whilst the lease is in the future, I will always disconnect hourly based in whatever minute timing it has. When I check the lease again after I've reconnected I can see the time and date has shifted one hour, ans this cycle continues. 

If the lease minute timing changes (eg from 33 past to 12 past the hour) my disconnections will occur at 12 past instead. 

Why would my dhcp lease be renew every hour? It has not expired, so why does it renew anyway? As mentioned this only occurs when connected to this router. 

To add to the evidence that virgin can only have issues with particular devices, whilst on a work call today all colleagues using virgin media as their ISP disconnected for 10-15 minutes. No other devices in our homes had issues, and colleagues using other ISPs were not disconnected.

Again I acknowledge that it must be something on the device setup too but it is only the combination of the setup + virgin isp that has the issues. Therefore there is something on virgins side that is defective/unable to handle whatever is triggering the dhcp lease renewal

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: DHCP lease rewnewing

Hello Thundertorii

Thanks for taking the time to raise your query in regards to your disconnections and correlation to when your DHCP lease. We appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

From a little research and checking the Hub's we have here we can see the standard time for this should be 24 hours. this should be indicated in the Hub's settings in the DHCP section as 86400 seconds.

Can you log into your Hub using the IP address 192.168. 0.1 and to access the settings you will be required to enter a password. You can find this on a sticker on the base of the Hub. Once in go to Advanced Settings where you will see the DHCP tab. Let us know what it says in that field?

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos
Thundertorii
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply

The lease time will be 7 days in the future, however for some reason a renewal is initiated every hour. 

I understand that during a disconnection, then upon reconnecting a new dhcp lease will be provided - but the disconnections will always occur at the same time past the hour that the lease sits at

Example: a new lease is given 7 days in the future with a time of 08:10

At 10 past the hour I will be disconnected and the lease will extend to 09:10 when I reconnect (even though reconnecting takes 1-1.5 minutes)

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information Thundertorii, we understand the issue and that is why we have asked you to follow the steps provided above to see what the value in the settings is for lease. Ours here all show 86400 which is 24 hours, can you check to see if your hub and dhcp tab shows the same or 3600 which would be an hour.

Rob

0 Kudos
Thundertorii
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I can confirm this is 86400

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Sounds more like a laptop or settings issue in the OS

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
mjpartyboy
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Seems like an odd issue with the Super Hub's DHCP. For comparison, I use an ASUS router and have reduced its DHCP lease time to 12 hours and even when a device is being used at the time of lease renewal, it remains connected and there's no disruption to service.
SH2 modem mode | AC86U router | AC68U node
0 Kudos
Thundertorii
Joining in
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I'm sure there us something on the laptop that triggers is, however it only occurs on this hub

Everywhere else is fine- my workplace and other ISPs I don't have this issue so there is something that virgins router can't cope with

In my original statement I also mentioned several of my colleagues and I all disconnected at the same time, we were all virgin , anyone not on virgin was not disconnected 

0 Kudos
Thundertorii
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've seen several threads with similar results

The issue is its only for my work device and I don't particularly want to personally invest in a new router as my work days its ISP issue and virgin say its a device issue

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Trouble shooter
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@Thundertorii wrote:

Yes I've seen several threads with similar results

The issue is its only for my work device and I don't particularly want to personally invest in a new router as my work days its ISP issue and virgin say its a device issue

Very strange, I used a work VPN for years and never had any problems staying connected. It was stable all day long, so 10+ hours.

Have you tried using a static IP address outside the Hub's DHCP address just as a test ?

0 Kudos