cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP Lease Expiry Time - VM Router - Reduced to 1 hr ?

danvm01
Joining in

Hi All,

Suffered an ISP outage at : ~ 20:50pm.

Rebooted router (modem mode) .

The lease expiry time is now 1 hr from the VM Router instead of the usual longer DHCP lease time (checked from laptop).  It looks like there has been a VM software update, which has incorrectly given new shorter lease DHCP expiry times.  A one hour DHCP lease expiry time is concerning as this would result in frequent DHCP / Public IP changes which is not expected.

Can anyone at VM confirm when this will be set for a longer lease expiry time?

10 REPLIES 10

danvm01
Joining in

This looks like it lines up with the increased upload speed (100Mb).

I have also received "DHCP failure to obtain IP" from my ASUS router  (now cloning mac address) to get around this issue. 

Sabrina_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @danvm01.

Thanks for your post. Apologies in the delay in responding, have you since got this resolved or is it still an ongoing issue? You can find the access to the DHCP lease timeframe under the Hub settings via 192.168.0.1, additional credentials can be found on the label on your Hub4. 

Thanks.

Sabrina

The public IP address DHCP lease time is not an available item to configure in Modem mode.

This is a setting configured via VM directly.  It looks like after a 30 min lease time, the next lease duration is now 10 days (12 June  - 23rd June), which is still a short lease time.

Without a software network update being rolled out the DHCP failure will still be present (external to the Hub 4).  A similar  problem last occurred on the 22/11/2022 when there was an area wide network outage.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

VM sometimes give out 1 hour leases not sure of the reason then VM go to 7 days which is not a problem as you should keep the same WAN IP on renew.

---------------------------------------------------------------

There is some problem with the latest firmware for the hub 4 since the upgrade to 100Mbs upload.  No matter what I do my ASUS router is unable to communicate to the outside world when connected with the Hub 4 in modem mode.  This includes MAC address clone approach using the router MAC Address (gave a 1 hr lease time).

Seems fine, if I use a different MAC Address for the clone (from a laptop which had a 7 day lease time).  It would suggest a bodged update from VM software side, if changing the MAC Address clone makes it work and some MAC Address clone entries do not work.

The hub4 failing to give a dhcp address out is not great.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Given what I know and seen VM did do something to DHCP in my area many years ago to not make it work the way it should so it may have nothing to do with the hub. You will likely find that a PC to modem mode will work fine.

Given a single PC to modem mode is next to useless - and modem mode is designed to connect to your own router (and I need modem mode for DDNS to work) - VM need to fix this.  

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Yes and VM should fix it but my point is a DHCP client is a DHCP client if it be a PC or router so for some reason VM DHCP server is not liking your router DHCP client due to options it has it should work but VM have made it not work.

In other word VM is making it hard to connect your router which is sad😞

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try a full factory 60 second pinhole reset on the Hub?   A factory reset on the ASUS?  Merlin firmware on the ASUS?

Just a couple of things to try while you wait for VM to sort this out perhaps.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks