forumarchive,nothingtosee,
Menu
richhaydock
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

DHCP IP starting value in Modem Mode

I apologise if this has been answered, I searched and found nothing that seemed to be the same question but networking is a complete mystery to me so it's entirely likely I missed something!

I currently have a Superhub 3 and am planning on using it in modem mode with an Asus router as working from home has been a trying experience for all involved (plus my WiFi speeds aren't great). However I have a question before I pull the pin and get a router.

My current setup is fairly simple, 8 or so wireless devices connected to the router (phones, laptops etc.) with one wireless extender connected purely to provide an ethernet port for my CCTV recorder in the garage.

The Superhub 3 has the DHCPv4 set to generate IPs from 192.168.1.10 onwards as the CCTV recorder has a fixed IP of 192.168.0.5. I also have port forwarding set for this fixed IP for port 50100 (TCP protocol).

My question is, when I set the Superhub 3 to modem only mode and set up the Asus router, which of the DHCP and port forwarding settings will then be handled by the Superhub or by the router? From Googling around and reading a bunch of guides (such as this) I'm fairly confident the port forwarding will be done by the router however all setup guides I've seen say that the Superhub will still need to have DHCP enabled so I'm unsure whether it still needs the IP generation criteria.

Thanks!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: DHCP IP starting in Modem Mode

all DHCP and port forwarding is from your own router. the hub will do nothing but be a modem

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

richhaydock
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Ah ok, so the only DHCP-like thing the Superhub will do is assign an IP to the router. From that point the main DHCP tasks will be handled by the router assigning IPs to other devices?
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

correct 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

richhaydock
Tuning in
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Excellent, thank you! As many computers as I've built networks are still totally alien to me!

Final question (I hope!), when the SH3 assigns an IP address to the router I assume there's no risk that it'll be .5 which will be used by my CCTV recorder?
0 Kudos
Eeeps
Rising star
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
all DHCP and port forwarding is from your own router. the hub will do nothing but be a modem

Generally true except it'll also provide internal IP4 routing to 192.168.100.1 and HTTP services at that address.

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the hub in modem mode will only assign the 1 WAN IP address.
Anything internal will be from your own router.
If is set to use the 192.168.0.1/24 subnet you could just change the ip range to start at something like 102.168.0.10

tehwolf
Superfast
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@richhaydock wrote:
Excellent, thank you! As many computers as I've built networks are still totally alien to me!

Final question (I hope!), when the SH3 assigns an IP address to the router I assume there's no risk that it'll be .5 which will be used by my CCTV recorder?

Zero risk of that. It will assign the router a public ip address.

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@Eeeps wrote:

@apcyberax wrote:

Generally true except it'll also provide internal IP4 routing to 192.168.100.1 and HTTP services at that address.

technically the hub doesn't offer 192.168.100.1 to the router. the router has no idea that 100.1 ip is there.

The router has a gateway for 0.0.0.0/0 so it routes that IP off-net over the routers default gateway and it just intercepts it at the hub its never given to the hub

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@richhaydock wrote:

No risk the hub in modem mode does not give out your WAN IP its done through it you may get a temp IP 192.168.100.xxx but you then get your WAN IP which will be nothing like 192.168.xxx.xxx.  

---------------------------------------------------------------