Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

DDOS attacks and what to do

Hello,

Over the past few months I have been the victim of what I suspect are DDOS attacks by another virgin media customer. I know who this is as I have received threats from them numerous times.

This has meant my whole internet has been unavailable for extended periods of time of often up to one hour. 

Essentially I am not getting the service I am paying for and I would like a new IP address. Could you please let me know the process for getting this? 

Is there a number I can call to discuss this with a member of security team?  I have some network logs of when the attacks were taking place which may be of use.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: DDOS attacks and what to do

Hi Gamer8865,

It's not possible for VM to change your ip address as it is based on the MAC of your hub in router mode, or your own router when in modem only mode.

You should send the details you have to the Internet Security Team  https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. Surely virgin media have a duty to do something about DDOS attacks. I have network logs from the periods I suspect the attacks were taking place, however the attacker is not going to be careless and get caught so likely he is hiding behind a VPN so tracing may be impossible.

What am I meant to do? Just put up with the attacks and disruption to a paid service I am not receiving? Changing IP is the only sure way to stop a DDOS attack. Virgin need to take this more seriously., there are some seriously disturbed people out there who will DDOS you for merely being better than them on an on-line game.

Do you know if it is possible to use MAC cloning to change your IP? 

Thanks again 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ensure 'IP flood detection' is enabled on your router.

How did they get your IP?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

and how do you know its a DDOS. post any logs/proof so people can better advice

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

They get IP from multiplayer on-line gaming. Have tried to avoid them for months but proving to be impossible. I've enabled DDOS protection on router but it does not seem to help..

I know it is a DDOS /DOS attack of some type because they threatened to do it and then it happens - no coincidence - normally happens after they have lost a game to me. I called virgin media they said no issue with internet in my area, all looks fine in router light on as normal and yet whole internet down.

I can't exactly post wireshark logs here and I don't see an option to post them in report abuse section when submitting a report...

Extremely frustrating, DOS attacks are illegal and I want this individual punished.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

well, illegal activity is not the responsibility of your ISP.
You need to report it to there ISP

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/?view=article&id=243:ddos-attacks-are-illegal&catid=2

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

“Surely virgin media have a duty to do something about DDOS attacks” Nothing to do with VM, they provide you with a connection to the Internet, they do not police it. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos