Menu
Allie98
Joining in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Customer Support - a misnomer

I have had to interact with VM twice recently.

1.  I sold the property that I used for work.  Both I and the buyer informed VM but they have been obstructive and unhelpful.  After 15 mins on the phone their so-called assistant cut me off.  I have now sent them a letter and hope it will generate a response.  The contrast with BT was stark, they dealt with everything over the phone, sent me a final bill and that was it.  I have no idea where I stand with Virgin but to concentrate their minds I have cancelled the DD

2.  We have a number of areas at home where reception is poor.  My wife recently lost her sight and is more than ever dependent on her phone for support, but with poor wifi she is unable to get reliable connections for Skype/Facetime/Whatsapp.  I asked VM for help - their response was to offer me a new hub and a much more expensive package.  Alternatively we could get pods at a cost of £5/mth.  When I asked if they were willing to support a disabled person the assistant said that she'd look into it and let us know ASAP.  Response - not a word.  I'm sure everyone at VM is happy to exploit disabled people - well done

NB my first time here and not sure if this has gone to the right board - the other choices were even less appealing

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Customer Support - a misnomer

The only reliable way to cancel a VM contract is to send a recorded delivery letter to the address given in your contract. Cancelling the direct debit will simply result in demand letters and a credit reference mark.

WiFi will not be improved by a faster contract speed. That's just a scam to get more money from you. You need to install your own proper WiFi router or a mesh system.

0 Kudos
Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello Allie98

It's really disappointing to hear of the problems faced cancelling your services and with the wireless network within your property. We appreciate you taking the time to contact us via the forums and welcome to the community.

In regards to cancelling the services we aren't able to arrange that for you via the forums, in your post you mention this was a property used for work, is this set up as a business account? If so, you would need to contact the business team on 0800 052 0800.

If this is a residential account, To cancel you would need to speak to the team on 150 or 0345 454 1111 option 1, option 4 then option 4. Alternatively you can write to us at the address in our Term's and Condition's https://virg.in/legals. We wouldn't recommend cancelling the Direct Debit as this wouldn't cancel the service and can lead to additional charges for late payment, overdue balances and possibly adverse information being recorded against your credit file.

In regards to the Wi-Fi issues, the Pod's do help in some instances. We appreciate you not wanting to pay for these but at present all customer on accounts eligible for these free would be charged. We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

Thanks 

Rob

0 Kudos
Allie98
Joining in
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rob for your reply.

With regards to my office service, this was residential.  Quite frankly, having contacted Virgin three times, and the buyer least twice, we both see no reason to give VM any more leeway.  If BT can handle a transfer seamlessly and with no bureaucracy, why can't Virgin.  It's all very well telling people not to cancel the DD but that just means that I will have to chase Virgin for a refund.  By being as obstructive and non-communicative as possible, even to the point of cutting off a difficult customer.  I know what OFCOM will make of this so Virgin ought to bend over backwards and at least try and repair some of the damage and ill-will they have generated, especially since the contract ends shortly.  They have masterfully alienated a new customer before he has even started.

With regards to the problems I have at home - on a completely separate contract - I was in fact contacted by Virgins resolution team a few hours after my original post on the forum.  No doubt this was a pure coincidence.  Sadly, they completely ignored the substance of my original request for assistance instead trying to sell me an expensive package that we really don't want.  Every other service that we have interacted with since my wife's disability came on has bent over backwards to help, support and advise.  Virgin stands out as being unhelpful, obstructive and determined to cash in on her disability.  

Overall on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate Virgin's performance about minus 25.  I am wasting my time dealing with its bureaucracy and obstructiveness when I really. have more important things to deal with. Today I spent 45 minutes writing a letter to Virgin, going down to the post office and sending it recorded delivery.  The people at Virgin should be ashamed of themselves.  

A

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling the DD will lead to your account being passed to a collections agency and marked as defaulted on your credit files.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It makes be wonder why the option to Cancelling the DD exists if you can't use it to declare you don't want the service any more? Maybe the DD system needs updating so that Cancelling the DD sends a message to VM and then VM system will Cancel the DD their end.

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:

It makes be wonder why the option to Cancelling the DD exists if you can't use it to declare you don't want the service any more? Maybe the DD system needs updating so that Cancelling the DD sends a message to VM and then VM system will Cancel the DD their end.

Makes no difference if you’re in a fixed term contract. You’re still liable for the remaining charges. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Allie98
Joining in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your posts.  Just to be clear, I have not cancelled the contract.  The property where the service is connected has been sold and both the new owner and I have informed VM of this. If fact I paid for the service up to 18 April.  

If VM had responded constructively at the outset and acted in a similar way to BT and other utilities providing gas, electricity water and council this matter would have been resolved long ago.  But they didn't, even to the extent of one of their operatives hanging up on me.  Frankly, having VM tell me I should contact them and virtually the first thing one hears is that waiting times could be up to an hour is downright insulting.  Imagine how long I'd have to hold on to get my money back - and let's not forget that VM gets a cut on every call - by the minute.   I have no doubt that VM would take the money - in breach of the DD terms and make me fight every inch of the way to get it back.  

I'd like someone responsible from VM to get in touch with me and end this fiasco.  Right now I'd much rather spend my time helping my disabled wife - a woman whose condition VM wants to exploit.

0 Kudos
vmrunreliable
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Regarding point 2, I'm not sure I can see an issue. You called and asked for support because your wife has had an unfortunate change in circumstances, a solution was proposed; what's the problem? It's it because you feel that you should not have to pay for that solution? 

0 Kudos
Allie98
Joining in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

You are right - at the end of the day VM are not obliged to do anything.  It is just that we are facing a new way of life and everyone else is bending over backward to help and VM could have responded a bit more positively.  But that is their choice, they could have offered a new router that apparently has a better range but they didn't.  They also could have replied rather more quickly when we sought some help in the first place but didn't.

I'll have to spend some time researching into ways  of extending the range of the wifi, but from what I saw before I contacted VM at the outset, there seems little certainty that whatever I get will work well with this router.

I think I'll look through this forum or if necessary post another request for help

0 Kudos