Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Customer Service

Why is no one at Virgin able to pick up a phone a model respond to my query? Customer service is dreadful. About to cancel and all I want to do is get sent a WiFi booster.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Customer Service

Which Hub do you have ?

What is your contracted speed ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Boosters are only free for Gig1 customers and those with a Hub4

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Had an engineer come round who said I should use the app to identify any blackspots and it would then allow me to get WiFi boosters. I'm on the top package but don't know what hub I have but if the engineer said I could get it then I have to take him at face value. When I check the app it says connection is 'great but when I che k the network settings on my box it says poor and a broadband speed test runs at low levels (30 mbps) when I should get over 250.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What speeds do you get at >> speedtest.net << with a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub in Router Mode and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected ?

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Not sure but using wireless connection on my mobile (which is essentially the same as my second box set up) I get 30mbps which is woeful.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Wi-Fi speed tests will only tell you how good the Wi-Fi is not the Broadband WAN.

You either test the BB WAN using a direct connection using a Cat 5E or better cable between the Hub and a 1Gbs capable Pc/Mac/Chromebook and no other devices connected or accept that it is a LAN side Wi-Fi problem that you need to sort out.

VM do not and never have guaranteed Wi-Fi speed or coverage.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

Mike Robinson

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Any recommendations on non VM kit that would help best WiFi. Currently have deco kit but nit really that good. VM engineer said that their boosters would work best as they use the electrical lines rather than WiFi to boost

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Meinpain wrote:

Any recommendations on non VM kit that would help best WiFi. Currently have deco kit but nit really that good. VM engineer said that their boosters would work best as they use the electrical lines rather than WiFi to boost

Powerline boosters will be worse as they’re more prone to interference.

What model deco do you currently have?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos